OT: for anyone that welds

plcnewbie

I recently have been searching for a welder to work on my 65 Mustang and discovered this guys website on building your own TIG welder. I wanted to get some thoughts on it from anyone that knows. Seeing how this is technical in nature I figured it could be posted here. What do you guys think about this approach as opposed to spending at least 2x that buying a welder.

Link: http://www.myweb.cableone.net/rschell/TIG.htm

If I wanted a project, I'd say go for it. But I think it would be easier to just buy a welder.

plcnewbie said:
spending at least 2x that buying a [new] welder.

It looks like an interesting project. However, I highlighted the modification I made to the quote to suggest that there might be a better alternative for an affordable welding setup; think used.

-------------------------------------------------------

On a side note, When I was younger and supider than I am now, I once used a couple of Interstate Megatron batteries in series and jumper cables to do a small bit of welding to repair a bike frame. It was a trick a mechanic buddy of mine suggested. It wasn't pretty, but it worked. Nothing I would trust to hold a critical load however. (Disclaimer: If you do get the dumb and wild idea to try this, take the batteries out of the car first and make sure you are well ventilated - batteries produce explosive hydrogen and + is ground.)

I just zoomed through it. Looks like a GREAT way to get electrocuted (ground float)

I bought my MIG and electronic helmet from Graingers, gas and 50' hose from a welding supply house (Imagine that!). Maybe 2K and only had to string some 220. Sheet metal to 3/8" and aluminum to boot!

First project was to build a cart for the welder, long hose allows the Argon bottle to stay safely strapped the the garage wall. Home Depot carries the nozzle tips flux and gloves.

Oh, don't forget to buy a portable bandsaw. Toss the little 110 generator, saw and extenstion cord in the truck and go 'shopping' (legally of course)

Start making friends with a local sheet metal shop :ROFLMAO:

Rod - happy glueing!