S7-300 bad CP5511 Question

Amiko_Phil

Hi guys,

I had a S7-314 PLC laying around in the shop lately and I tried to connect to it via the MPI port using the CP5511 adapter but I did not had the right cable to connect from the PLC to the adapter so I tried just a rs232 cable that was laying around and well I could not connect to it at all. And later on I found out that the adapter was burnt. So I’m wondering if by using the wrong cable could I have burnt the adapter.

The pinout of the RS-232 cable is like this:

2----------3

3----------2

5----------5

Pin 7 & 8 are jumped on each side.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Phil

Last edited:
Hi Amiko_Phil

This is the pin-assignment of the 9-pin MPI port on the CPU:

Pin1 Shield
Pin2 M24V
Pin3 RxD/TxD-P
Pin4 CNTR-P
Pin5 GNDD
Pin6 V5P
Pin7 P24V
Pin8 RxD/TxD-N
Pin9 CNTR-N

So the crossed serial cable has connected the ground (M) for the 24V from pin 2 on the CPU port to the RxD/TxD-P pin 3 on the CP5511 card, and vice-versa.
It is not clear to me how the CP5511 could be damaged by this.
One way is that 24V return currents from sensors or actuators controlled by the PLC have found its way to ground thru the adapter in stead of thru the PLC GND, thereby somehow exceeding what current the circuitry could take. Or voltage spikes from actuators or contactors could cause the damage.

By the way, are you sure that it is the CP5511 card that is damaged, and not the "dongle" that sits on the cable from the adapter ?

edit:
Pin 7 & 8 are jumped on each side.
That would mean that on the PLC side there would be 24V on the RxD/TxD-N pin. Good if the PLC was not damaged from this.

Last edited:
JesperMP vbmenu_register("postmenu_144883", true); : Well the dongle is burnt and the MPI port of the PLC seems to be burnt also.
Ah well thanks for the info.
icon8.gif

There is a few posts just recently about people doing things that are plain and simple stupid - you have also just got a membership of the club .

You take several hundred dollars worth of equipment and connect it to several more hundred dollars worth of equipment , with a cable that just happened to fit - tell me , you could probably have managed to connect 3 phase to M , 24V and ground , why didn't you try that too ?
I cannot believe the stupidity of your actions in the first place , and the fact you don't care at being laughed at !

I'm quite calm , I didn't blow up of USD 1000 worth of 5511 , and a PLC port . Must be OK then !!

I wouldn't pick up a bit of cable that wasn't purple with those big clunky profibus plugs on each end , the only exception being the spare cable off my BT200 which says "BT200" on it .
Then again , I wouldn't plug any cable that I hadn't personally checked into anything , and when they are checked , I put a silly little tag on them that tells the guy who picks it up what it is safe for use with , rather than its sexual orientation "straight" - a bit of a paradox that your straight cable wasn't even straight , but crossover.

Now , if I'd just cost myself a load of money , then I would starting getting upset , but as it stands , I couldn't be more calm .
Good luck with the repairs.

I have seen this a few times. I worked for the local Siemens distributor and customers were always using a gender changer and burning the cp5511's up. I was the one who figured it out for Siemens, after they replaced quite a few. If it was under warrenty, which it is not, they should replace it.

Why should Siemens replace it ? when the customer used a gender changer ? where does it say to be so stupid in the manual for the 5511 ? and why would you need to use a gender bender ?

I can just about get the mini din off of my PCMK DH+ adapter hammered into the SVHS connector on my laptop , does this mean I can watch video on a 5/04 SLC?

10baseT said:
Why should Siemens replace it ? when the customer used a gender changer ? where does it say to be so stupid in the manual for the 5511 ? and why would you need to use a gender bender ?

I can just about get the mini din off of my PCMK DH+ adapter hammered into the SVHS connector on my laptop , does this mean I can watch video on a 5/04 SLC?

Maybe, if you can let me know and ill give it a try ??

On a side not, i was at a suppliers today where i was borrowing a G3 8" HMI for playing with, when i asked how many they had returned as faulty my m8 there replied only one..............

The customer had put 220V on the 24vdc supply terminals and blown it !!! Now i did assume that they didnt supply the G3 with a 220V mains lead, but then again i didnt ask!! Ill have a look in my box tomorro!

I've seen that too. Should I call a customer an idiot? I don't think so. Accidents do happen. Have you ever done something so dumb, you didn't want to admit it? We are all human. P.S. I have seen some very smart guys smoke some hardware.

RRobbins said:
I've seen that too. Should I call a customer an idiot? I don't think so. Accidents do happen. Have you ever done something so dumb, you didn't want to admit it? We are all human. P.S. I have seen some very smart guys smoke some hardware.

I have :) Admit to it ? Admit to what !

I had a call from a customer many many years ago asking me if i could get him a replacement danfoss vsd, he had inadvertantly fitted the drive back into a plug in chassis and forgot to remove the links between L1-U L2-V 7 L3-W that had been fitted to run the conveyor at full speed whilst his first duff drive was repaired! Whist it was human error and an expensive mistake it was good for business!

That's the whole point (or should it be the hole point?) - if you do something that stupid - it doesn't pay to tell anyone .

I've launched some very expensive equipment out of the front of a panel , and I've also covered up some very expensive mistakes made by site electricians , but using a cable just because it has the right connectors at each end , and is a nice pretty colour is not that clever , particularly when in this case you managed to ignite a couple of thousand dollars worth of equipment .

I have a cable that has an RJ45 on one end , and a USB plug on the other , but I think that it is fair to say that you would have to be a bit soft upstairs to actually plug the thing into those ports while the thing is powered up .

In response - yes I have seen some smart guys wreck hardware - but I have seen idiots wreck a great deal more - as for calling the customer a twit - why , I try to upset at least one customer a day - because , believe me , when you mess up , they will tell you - better to set the balance straight before you start .

Like I said , not my money !!

Last edited:
> The customer had put 220V on the 24vdc
> supply terminals and blown it !!!

We get a couple of units (both HMIs and panel meters) like this back each month. Normally, the repair guys can tell by the smell as soon as they take the thing out of the box, and once you open it up, it's pretty clear from the devastation that something bad has been applied. (You sometimes get a very pretty coating on the inside of the case, presumably from the vaporized metals that get redeposited!) The best ones are where the customer tries to tell us it's an out-of-box failure and that they never even connected it to anything. If it's a good customer and they don't make a habbit of it, we'll just say nothing and replace it, but on occasions we have had to email pictures to show that they might not be telling the whole story...

Mike Granby
President
Red Lion Controls