Safety Logic Diagram???

kamenges

We are in the process of delivering our first machine to Ireland. We brought in a CE consultant to help us catch any design or paperwork requirements we might forget.

We are in the 11th hour of the project and now the CE guy is asking for a 'safety logic diagram'. I Googled this and found only one reference. It was to some guys resume and he said he did it, once.

Does anyone know what this is or know where I can get an example? I can't get a hold of our consultant and I want to get a jump on this. This machine also falls under the ATEX directive so the diagram might be driven from that side also, as opposed to being required by the machinery directive.

Any help would be appreciated.

I've done three systems that ended up in Europe. We provided a seperate schematic diagram that only showed the emergency stop and shield interlock circuits. While these were all shown in the main drawing set - this was an extra second set that showed just the safety circuits. However, I recommend clarifying that with your CE consultant.

here in the oi patch industry, we use safety flow diagrams(shows electrical and pneumatic safety systems) and safe charts(shows if a certain undesired incident happens what will be the cascaded event), hope this helped.

nswu1-

I think the safety flow diagram is what I am looking for. Is there any standard format for this that you know of or do you just put it in any convenient form?

Alaric-
The way our drawing sets are laid out the e-stop and safety interlock drawings are already their own drawing group. Our consultant knows this. I think he is looking for a more generic, block diagram form of the system. I don't think I'm going to know for sure until I get a hold of him. I was hoping this thing took a standard form but it doesn't look that way

Thanks for the info.
Keith

Come across a similar thing referred to by nswu1 - although i know them as "Cause & Effect" diagrams.

It is supposed to give a breakdown of all eventualities relating to a particular machine or process (i.e. 'what happens if this transmitter loop fails? or 'What precautions are in place if this solenoid fails etc etc)

Not sure if this relates to what you need, but i know it is sometimes required as additional documentation by certain industries.....

Hope this helps...:)

basically the safety flow is just a highly detailed oneline of the process showing all safety devices and equipment in the process. i'll see if i got one on my laptop(i'm currently offshore)and upload it if i got.

I spent quite a few years in the gas turbine industry and the cause & effect diagrams were used the most. It looks kinda like an X Y plot with the causes on the left (Y axis) and the effects on the top(X axis). ATEX is similar to Class 1 Div 1(Explosion proof). Although it may involve other areas.

Last edited:
Well, I got my first look at what our consultant is calling a safety logic diagram today. I was in a hurry so I just took a quick glance at it. I about p@@ped myself!! It looks like a combination of a machinery start/stop flow diagram and an e-stop response diagram. I am at home right now and the diagram is on our server at work. I'll post it tomorrow for anyone who is interested.

I'm pretty sure this is an ATEX thing as it came from our ATEX consultant. Although our consultant is pulling double duty as he is also the guy who will certify that the machine meets the ATEX requirements. This may be less an ATEX requirement and more a documentation CYA for the inspector.

Keith