PLC to PC connection

Hi, I am a student and is currently pursuing a project that has something to do with automation. Our team is thinking of using PLC as control (a motor, and some pneumatic solenoid valves mainly). We have experience with programming Omron CPM1As. It seems that the host-link adapter is needed to connect it to a computer so we can use Syswin to program it. I also looked at the CPM2A, there is a RS-232 port. I am wondering for the CPM2A, if it is possible to direct connect it to a PC without any adapters via the RS-232 port. I don't see this option on the Omron's online manual tho. Main consideration is cost of buying the PLC and whatever we need to make it work. Please advice. Thanks!

I know a little about OMRON, but only CQM1. I think your best bet on an answer is Jay Anthony, but I haven't seen him around here for quite a while. You could check www.plcman.co.uk where they even have an OMRON only section.

Kind regards,

BiscottiGelato said:
...It seems that the host-link adapter is needed to connect it to a computer...I also looked at the CPM2A, there is a RS-232 port...if it is possible to direct connect it to a PC without any adapters via the RS-232 port...

You are correct. The adaptor for the 1A is only to convert your RS232 PC port to an hostlink port. In the 2A there is already a 232 port and the conversion it made inside the PLC box.

So the answer is yes, with the 2A you save the cost of the CIF-01 converter.

I mention the CIF-01 because OMRON sells more than one converter type. There is one that is called the "Programming cable" because the converter is imbeded in a cable. The CIF-01 is a small module with an RS232 connector and a 6 inches cable with hostlink connector at the end. This module you snap into the DIN rail left of the CPM1A box an leave it there.

For student, they could all make there own RS232 cable and have either the CPM2A or CPM1A with CIF01 on the DIN rail so they could "program" easaly without having to carry the converter with them (or even forget it home :()

Be carefull when you will build the OMRON cable for there is a lot of schematic that are wrong. If you have not communication, investigate the position of there "common" wire in the cable. Its not 2-3-5 as most RS232 are. Its 2-3-? :)

Its not just a cable, its a converter. It converts RS232 to Hostlink... whatever that is!

The CIF-01 or 02 are converters. This is why if you had gotten a CPM2A you would have had 2 ports on the PLC, 1x hostlink and 1x RS232.

At this price it looks pretty cheap, I pay 120$can for a CIF-01.

Watch for import and taxes... maybee it will be cheaper to buy directly from OMRON in your area.