Controllogix chassis mounting

sthays10

Just a quick question: I have ordered a 10 slot chassis for my controllogix system. I have a box 24 inches wide. Documentation says 4" are needed on either side, and the chassis is 19" wide. This leaves me 2.5" on either side. Will this work, or will I have to find another box?

I will have plenty of vertical room.

Steve

The chassis will be near the top of the box. Will have wire duct under it, not to the side. Only 3 wires going to the chassis.

Other than that, 6" top and bottom clearance, approx 7" frontal clearance.

Nothing else should interfere with airflow.

Any suggestions for a new box? I have a Hoffman DataCom ProTek wall mount, NEMA type 4, lockable. 24w x 36h x 12d.

thanks

Last edited:
I did not get your math:

1756-IN080C: page 16​

chassis 10 slots with PS: 19"​
page 8
Space on the left 4"
Space on the right 4"

Total = 27"

Min cabinet size from page 8 30"x20"x8"

Mounting CLX at the top of the panel - all heat will be on the top of the panel:(

Let me try again:

I have a box that has been ordered. It is 24" wide. I realize that I do not have the side clearance. It suggests 4" each side, I have 2.5" each side. I will mount the panel near the top, probably 8-10" from the top, and will have sufficient bottom clearance. Should I scrap the box I have on order and find a new one? The ordered hoffman enclosure is exactly what I am looking for, but they do not make it in widths larger than 24".

If I should switch, does anyone have a suggestion as to which box would be recommended?

Thanks
Steve

It probably will work counting that you have 12" depth
I touched my chassis on the top, it is about 110F, maybe little more just sitting on the wall above my desk.
It probably will be much warmer in the cabinet at the top of the panel.

In any case I never heard that CLX failed because of heat.

It'll work as long as the ambient temp isn't screaming hot.
The front depth will be great for airflow.

i Have one in a 24" enclosure..As you said..mine is about 8-12" from the top..Total cabinet is about 3' long 24" wide and about 14" deep..

You might want to think about a fan tho if the unit is going to be in a cool area..Hot on the inside..cool on the outside=condensation...

Just a thought..

It should be fine, but if I was doing it I would install a vent plate at top with a axial fan located below rack to ensure adequate cooling.

I've got several mounted in 24 wide enclosures only 10" deep with the chassis at the top and no problems. I wouldn't put the fan in. Something else to maintain. But mine go in very harsh environments.

Thanks again. It sounds like I shouldn't run into too much of a problem. Might install the fan if we run into heat issues, but for now will see how it goes.