temperature contol pid

droberts45

I am using a compactlogix L35e and have solid state temperature contollers with digital input(the controller is either on or off)
does anyone have an example of a pid loop to accomplish this? Also
I need to control cooling fans. ie. I will have to control heat and cooling cycles with digital outputs.

Use either the PID or PIDE instruction, and run the output through the SRTP (Split Range Time Proportional) instruction. The Help on the SRTP instruction is fairly comprehensive.

how do i create a new function block in compactlogix when I select new routine only the ladder function is available in the drop down menu

If everything is discreet I/O, then you can use a timer, and comparison instructions to get pretty close. I don't have the logic handy, but I wrote a program a couple years ago to turn cooling fans on and off based on product temp. You would need to know if the temp was above or below the desired setpoint.

I used an infrared temperature transmitter (Omron) to get the temp(analog in). I conpared the temp with our desired preset to establish error(two instructions one GRT or GEQ for high one for low LES or LEQ.) If an error existed for more than two minutes, I would either turn a fan on or off. If in your case you are only interested in error in one direction, you can substitute the output of your controller as the comparison instruction(GEQ or LEQ). I was working with a somewhat stable PV (process variable) so it was easy to control. This may be what you are trying to accomplish.

True PID, would be different. You would need analog in and out. The PID instruction in AB controllers is notorious, but it does work. First you need to understand what PID is. It works on three different algorithms, Proportional, Intergal, and Differential. There is a time function here as well (I, D) All work together to drive the analog output to a smooth curve and keep error within control. I used this instruction to control the temperature in vats for log preperation. I spent quite a bit of time playing with it to get a good understanding of how it worked. This PV was not very stable, and it required the PID.

Originally posted by droberts45:

how do i create a new function block in compactlogix when I select new routine only the ladder function is available in the drop down menu

Function block programming doesn't come as part of the basic Logix5K package. It comes as part of the higher level packages or you can buy the FBD package ala carte. If you can't create an FBD routine you don't have the FBD package.

Keith