Old Guy New Here

WTIM

can a slc503 control a servo motor by typing a number on a pad or
a panel to make the move, and then is there a way to see the move on a readout? this is for a fence on a wood saw. need to do this cheep, what maby on ebay? what should i look for?

The simple answer would be yes.

As for the move of the fence, does it always move the same amount or will you be moving it to different distances/lengths?

What kind of accuracy would you be looking for?

WTIM
Forget about cheap, even if you find used it's going to cost.
New cost for single axis+PLC+HMI and simple program is going to cost 8 to 15 thousand.

WTIM,

Have you thought of a servo with I/O's Yaskawa and others have them, depending on how many I/O's you need you may not need the PLC, I have not a clue on the price but it may be cheaper

yes it will be changing from cut to cut. and we would like less than 1mm accuracy. and if we can not do this cheep it will not happen. we need surplus type stuff, i know it is out there. will a small panelvieu work for the read out? they have been some on ebay.

How rapidly do you need to move the fence into position? Do you already have the motor and drive?

It is possible to roll your own motion control with nothing more than a PLC with high speed counter capabilities and an analog output channel. You can even do it with a standard three phase motor and a VFD. It won't be fast, and you might need a brake to hold the fence in position when the move is complete, but you can do it cheap if you don't place too much value on your time.

Just to prove I could do it, I once set up a motor connected to a 360 PPR quad encoder (1440 counts per turn). The encoder fed into a PLC high speed counter card. The motor was controlled by a simple volts/Hz VFD. The speed reference to the VFD was from a PLC analog output. I could repeatably position the motor within one degree of rotation (+/- 2 counts) as long as I didn't try to rotate the motor too fast.

it dose not need to be fast, we can start the move then load the new piece of wood while it's moving. i do have a high speed counter card. and the old motor is ac with a brake in it. the old setup used a 28 count per rev mag unit, i was thinking of a 2000 count unit that i have (old fanuc cnc).

thank tuo for good info cheep! but i still need to know about a readout device. panelview?

Last edited:
A Panelview will do it, but you have to be careful there. The Panelviews you're likely to find on ebay may be limited to only a single communication protocol such as DF1, DH485, or Data Highway (DH+). There is one part number for a Panelview with DF1, a different part number for the same Panelview with DH485.

Off the top of my head, I'm not sure which protocols the 5/03 can support.

Off the top of me head the 5/03 DOES NOT support DH+ (Data Highway Plus)

But does support DF1 and DH485

I picked up an excellent model for playing with on ebay last year DF1 PV550 as new for $50

One of the software you can program with is Rs Logix 500, complete package. You need to have on the same computer instaled comunication software Rx Linx Pro. I am not sure about devices which would transfer the signals.This is my qustion too. Anyway this package software costs around 12K.
Dan

samoil said:
One of the software you can program with is Rs Logix 500, complete package. You need to have on the same computer instaled comunication software Rx Linx Pro. I am not sure about devices which would transfer the signals.This is my qustion too. Anyway this package software costs around 12K.
Dan

Ummmm. No. RS5000 pro edition runs round $5500.
RS 500 isn't near that expensive.
Legetimate copies can be purchased on EBAY as well for roughly $300.

Have you looked at Automation Direct? It could save you a lot of money. I think they would have everything you need.

If you can't afford to go with a complete system I would check into doing it with just an AC drive. You might not get a good interface but it may be less $$s

I had one copy for $300, but It distroed my computer's hard disk, it will not do the job.You need combination of the package software which will do DDE(dinamic data exchange). About version Rs 5000-I don't know.