controling motor with PLC through micromaster

Pandiani

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello guys,
I'm learning how to control drive Micromaster with S7-300 PLC (CPU 315-2 DP).
Micromaster drive is 6SE3117-3DC70-0BB0. I want to connect PLC with drive.
I have one analog input and one analog output module. I want to use nalog signal
from PLC output to connect to Micromaster. I want to make simple PLC program
that will drive motor through AC drive with options to change speed and reverse
speed direction. I have experience working with STEP 7 but I don't have any experience
with micromaster ac drive. I've downloaded micromaster manual and I'm willing to learn
to work with this drive. I know that micromaster has analog input (4-20 mA) between
pins 3 and 4.
Can you helo me?
What are first steps I should take?
Do you have any advice?

Thanks

Have you considered connecting to the drive with Profibus? That would be the cleanest solution.

If you do it the other way, here's something to remember:

When configuring the functions for the inputs and outputs, MicroMaster drives have Index 00 and 01 for almost every parameter. Index 00 defines how the drive behaves when in manual mode, Index 01 defines auto mode.

For, example for your speed reference, you could have the drive configured so that when in manual mode (index 00), the speed input comes from the keypad. Index 01 (Auto) of the same parameter, could be programmed to use the 4-20mA as the speed reference.

I let this trip me up the first time I configured a Micromaster. The one thing I don't like about the Micromaster drives is that there are lots and lots of parameters to set - much more than say an Allen-Bradley drive. Don't be afraid to call Siemens tech support - the drives group is very good.

Hello!
The first thing to do is to read the micromaster manual from the.
It is really simple to use the plc to control the micromaster.
You will need three(two) digital signals (relay or 24VDC):
start/release DIN1,DIN2
forward/reverse DIN3
supply is also found on the drive,
and your analog signal 0-10 vdc or 4-20mA AIN1.
I would not recommend you to try to get the Profibus working if you have problems with getting it to work with hardwires.
Just select speed refrence to AIN1, start signal to DIN1 and directions to DIN2 from the parameters

Last edited:
Profibus and half a dozen settings , if you want to go that way , I can guarantee that you could get the drive receiving a permissive and setpoint in about 5 minutes flat !

MM with Profibus and Digital Input together

While we are discussing the micromaster with profibus.... i have a similar application using the 315-2DP and controlling the micromaster on profibus. I have a question regarding this application :

Under normal operation, the control will be through the profibus line but if the profibus line gets disconnected or the CPU315 fault, can i use the micromaster's digital input to command the micromaster to stop ?

Ok, thanks for replies guys, I'll read manual carefully. Unfortunately I need to figure out how to drive motor through analog input of micromaster drive. It's something like a task for me. So can you give me any advice regarding analog inputs of micromaster drive?
Thanks

Hello guys, I have found manual for Micromaster and I've read it. Since English is not my
native language always there is possibility that I didn't understand correctly.
That's why I'm asking you to help me. Manual is in attachment. I'm planing to control speed
with PLC through analog signal 4-20mA.

This is from the manual:
(1) Connect control terminal 7 to terminal 8 via a simple on/off switch. This sets up the motor for clockwise rotation
(default). I'm planing to connect both 7 and 8 with PLC's digital outputs and to use something like this:
Q4.0 I0.0 Q4.1
||-------||-------( ) By activating I0.0 Q4.0 (pin7) and Q4.1 (pin8) will be short circuited. Is this OK?

(2) Connect a 4.7 kW potentiometer to the control terminals as shown in Figure 7 (MICRO MASTER) or Figure 10
(MIDI MASTER) or connect a 0 – 10 V signal from pin 2 and pin 4 (0V) to pin 3.
I'm planing to connect Analog ouptupt chanel configured like 2-wire DMU between pin 3 and pin 4. Is this OK?

(3) Set the position of SW1 for voltage (V) input.
Here, I will switch SW1 to current (I) input.

(4) Refit the cover and then apply mains power to the inverter. Set parameter P009 to 002 or 003 to enable all
parameters to be adjusted (see Figure 13 for the procedure).
Here, I'll do exactly what is written above.

(5) Set parameter P006 to 001 to specify analogue setpoint.
I'll do same as described.

(6) Set parameter P007 to 000 to specify digital input (i.e. DIN1 (terminal 8) in this case) and disable the front panel
controls.
I'm really not sure what to do this, is this neccessary?

Thanks