AB Micrologix 1500

Kthiel

I have purchased a Micrlogix 1500 1764 LSP. I am used to Siemens S-7 and am trying to make the conversion.

1) How do you define memory locations for integers, analog input & floating point variables?

2)Do you convert from analog input to integer to double integer to floating point to use analog inputs as floating point variables?

When I use the AB RS500 dialog box for analog input the address ends up as I:1.0. This looks like a bit address not an analog input. The floating point address takes the form F:8.

A-B data file addressing uses English mnemonics along with a File number to define which data type a file contains. Some examples:

N7 Data File 7, Integer data type
F8 Data File 8, Floating point data type
B3 Data File 3, Boolean (binary) data type

Most SLC users are accustomed to the default data files; B3, T4, C5, R6, N7, F8. Data files 9 and above can be whatever I create them as; I can define File 10 to be Floating Point or Integer or Control or Counters or whatever I want.

If your only choice in the Input file is "Slot 1", then probably you don't have the analog expansion modules configured yet in your I/O setup and you're only seeing selections for the onboard I/O. When you do configure the analog modules, you'll find that the Input file ("I:xx.yy" where xx is the Slot number and yy is the Word number) has additional 16-bit Words in it, which correspond to analog input data represented in Integer format.

If you want to use this data in Floating-Point format, it's customary to scale it first. One of the most common ways is the SCP Scale with Parameters function; it allows you to scale to your own engineering units and will convert the results to a Floating Point destination.

If you're using the scaling instructions, you can just use a MOV (value move) instruction to convert an Integer into a Floating Point value.

Last edited: