Connecting laptop with A.I.5 to DH+

svetagl

I have A.I.5 programming software on a laptop and PLC5/10 with DH+ port. In order to program it do I need 1770-KF2 module and a cable or anything additional?
When I replace A.I.5 with RSLogix5 can I use the same module or do I need anything additional?

THank you

I prefer the 1784-PCMK Series B card for going online via DH+, because it gets you the full 57.6 kb/s speed instead of having the serial bottleneck of the 1770-KF2.

Both devices are compatible both with AI-5 and RSLogix 5.

If you get the 1784-PCMK Series B card, you will also need a 1784-PCM5 Series B cable. The "Series B" is important (they must match). The -PCM5 cable will connect directly to a PLC-5/10 and can use a small adapter (1784-PCM7, comes with the cable) to connect with newer PLC-5 and SLC-5/04 controllers.

jstolaruk - so if I configure KF2 setting in the RS232 DF1 driver I don't need anything else? Can I use serial cable or I need a special one?
Sorry - I am a little lost here.

Ken - I looked at 1784-PCMK Series B card option but I have only one PLC5 for testing purposes and this option is a little bit pricey.

svetagl said:
jstolaruk - so if I configure KF2 setting in the RS232 DF1 driver I don't need anything else? Can I use serial cable or I need a special one?

I know of no reason why you can't use the cable that you used previously.

if I understand you correctly you have NOTHING except the PLC and a programming computer ... specifically, you do NOT have a KF2, etc. ...

if that is correct, then you can NOT communicate with the PLC until you come up with more hardware ...

basic idea: the PLC-10 is an older "classic" type processor ... it does not have a built in serial port ... therefore you must come up with some means of communicating over DH+ (Data Highway Plus) ...

quick question: do you have a working SLC-5/04 handy? ... if so, post again and ask about "pass-through" ... or see this post ...

common misconception: many people think that the DB9 port on the front of this processor is a serial port ... it is NOT ... it can only be used for DH+ communications ... sorry ...

Nope - I have only PLC5/10 and ControlLogix - Logix5550. I have DHRIO module and trying to read I/O tags from PLC5 through ControlLogix Ehternet ENET/B module.
So my goal is to see tags from PLC-5 in CIP packets over Ethernet but I couldn't configure (define) PLC5 in RSLogix5000 and I understand I can't do that.
Although I can see PLC5 in RSLinx in DHRIO chanel.

If the PLC-5 is connected to the CLX via DH+, you should be able to use the CLX as a bridge and connect that way, using RsLinxs, and RSLogix-5.

If you can see the PLC-5 in RSLinx, then you should be able to connect.

Edit:
I see you are using AI software, but the bridge should still work.

I have activated AI5 software on a DOS laptop with serial port and RSlinx and RSLogix5000 on a PC. How can I connect to use AI5?

Ken - I am trying to move AI5 to another PC. While running EvMove utility v.4.7 I had error message and looking at AB documentation here it's not the case with me - I have a DOS/Win3 laptop. I don't have any Master disk - nothing - I bought this laptop used with software installed on it. AB says that I should be able to transfer it to another computer.
Maybe version of this utility is wrong? Any ideas?
Thank you