PLC programming

Read what you have written and you will answer your own question very easily.
🔨

There are actually three programming software options for writing ladder logic for the 90-30, although only three of them are in common use.

The first is Logicmaster. It it is a DOS application, and is considered obselete in that there have not been any upgrades to it lately to keep it current with the latest hardware. Furthermore, it is not compatible with any of the VersaMax hardware including the VersaMax Micro and Nano 'rick' style PLCs.

Next is VersaPro software. It's a Windows application. It is reasonably current with the available hardware, including the entire VersaMax line, but there will be no further development of it. Programs written in Logicmaster can be imported into VersaPro.

The current offering is called Cimplicity Machine Edition Logic Developer PLC. Cimplicity ME utilizes a common database of tagnames for the PLC, OI panels, SCADA, and PC control. It is sold in a confusing array of modules, with and without service contracts, development and runtime licenses, making it extremely easy for you to buy more than you need. Logicmaster and VersaPro folders can be imported into Cimplicity ME.

The fourth package is called Control. It was an aborted attempt to develop a Windows software package and had a mercifully brief life.

If I am not mistaken the older 90-30 CPU's, unless they have been upgraded, can only use LogicMaster 90. I don't recall off the top of my head just what versions those are.

LRBrown,

GE Fanuc warns about using VersaPro with older versions of the 90-30 firmware. They list the recommended firmware level for each CPU model on their website.

A lot of people take this to mean that you can't use VersaPro or ME software with the old versions. This is not entirely true. The major problem with VersaPro and the older versions is that under the right (wrong?) set of conditions, opening the fault tables with VersaPro could cause the CPU to stop running. In some applications, that would be no more than a nuisance, but in others, you might put operators or equipment at risk or ruin an expensive product.

Here is the URL for the firmware rev levels.

http://gefanuc.com/support/plc/faq00083.htm

I agree with you Steve that VersaPro can be used with some older firmware but if something goes wrong you don't have much of a leg to stand on. I've run into this and have had to decide either upgrade the firmware or use the Logicmaster. The liabilty issues were too great for me to decide otherwise.

LRBrown,

I agree that if you're going to switch from Logicmaster to VP or ME, the smartest thing to do would be to upgrade the firmware. At $100 per EPROM, it's not a budget-buster. I'm sure that if you had a plant full of older CPUs, your local distributor could get GE Fanuc to back off on the price, especially if you were purchasing a bunch of VP or ME licenses at the same time.