Female PLC programmers

Alfred

I would like to get an idea how many female programmers are known in the industrie. I also researched how many chess grandmasters are females. This is not a sexist or friviol question. My youngest daughter finished her electrical mechanic apprentiship, is contracting for herself and has some ambition to learn plc programming. I know how difficult it is to stay fluend whith this programming for myself, doing it only on/off as required, I thought my daughter is wasting her time if she has no continued need for this.
Whats the feeling and experience out there?

Regards
Alf

I forgott to add, there are 11 GM Females

Last edited:
don't know any female programmers, but that isn't really my main field. we did have a female electrician once, but every time she went to work on something she had 12 guys trying to help her.

I know two female PLC programmers. One of them is one of the most PLC knowledgable people I know - She has been in the field for probably 30 years.

Alfred,

I suggest that you encorage your daughter as there is a lack of people in Canberra capable of working with PLC's, SCADA and drive technologies.

I normally travel to Canberra or dial in to carry out modifications.

I know of several people travelling in from the snowys to do work.

Just thinking about it I actually had a female apprentice about 4 years ago working on the installation of our relocated plant. Best apprentice I've worked with.

I worked with several different females now carrying out programming and would have to say they have a great attention to detail.
Hopefully she will go on and do well. I wish you and your daughter all the best.

However, the company I work for has roughly 75 engineers (Jr & Sr) & 0 of them are female.

Can't put my finger on exactly why, but it's defenitely not discrimination. We have plenty of female employees in support, manufacturing & management positions.

IN my company yes there are female PLC programmers and their no is increasing . they are doing very well and instead of being electrician or some hard engineering jobs i think programing is more suitable for ladies

Nearly 20 years in the business, and I've only met one. Not specifically PLC programming though. She was doing the SCADA work interfacing one of our machines at a cosmetics plant.

Actually though, I haven't really met all that many male PLC programmers (in person, not counting here online of course). Maybe a dozen or so over the years.

So far, I've only met one PLCS.net member in person, and that was just 2 days ago (Hi, Bob...
2.gif
)

🍻

-Eric

P.S. Let's not forget that Paula is now 'officially' a very accomplished PLC programmer as well!... :nodi:

Know of a few here in Ozz. They all have university degrees and no practical experience in the field. One is a good PLC programmer, the other 2 are really good at making "pretty pictures" for the SCADA systems.

I would suggest that you send her for a tech course to at least gate a "piece of paper". If I can help, please contact me.

By the way, I do all may own design work, build control panels, software, SCADA etc. A veritable one man band, with the help of my mates that I have worked with for over 15 years.

I've met four. One is an excellent electrical engineer / programmer working on her PE certification; have known her for many years. At the other end of the spectrum, another I've met shouldn't ever have her hands on a PC for programming; she was promoted to a project manager (out of harms way). Mind you, I've met many men programmers that are of the same calibers.

I know of one that used to work where i work now. She was one of the best programmers i've ever seen and she was only in the field 5 years or so. Not to mention very knowledgeable about PLC and SCADA

Engineering and programming are still overwhelmingly male professions, and the number of females enrolled in engineering has actually dropped. Maybe it's the left brain/right brain thing - I don't know.

I've worked with quite a few female engineers, and a couple of programmers. In my opinion on average their skill level is above their male counterparts. I think that's because they have to really be motivated to get into the field.

CroCop said:
I'm trying to teach the wife.
My wife did PLC-programming 15 years ago when she was El.engineer. Later she growes up there (defended one's doctoral thesis) and now she is researcher.

I have had one other female fellow worker 2 years ago and I know plenty of them. PLC-programming suits well for the girls.