What's your dream lab?

Dr. Hockey

If you had the opportunity to build your dream lab for teaching PLCs, robotics, automation, CIM, or any or all of the above, how would you design it? Lots of seats of identical platforms? A variety of platforms? What technologies would you put in there?

Go nuts! Money is no object!

If I were teaching PLCs I would have the students actually build models of the projects (with an Erector set, Konnex or Legos or something like that), then program a PLC to make it all work. Seems there's little more gratifying then to see things move all in concert. It would also provide a better understanding as to how the mechanics effects the program and visa-versa. Such as things like compesatating for changing mass, enertia, switch bounce, etc...

I would go with 1 platform, saves money that way. And although it pains me to say it (pain as in "I broke a tooth" pain), if money were no object, I'd go AB. I'd outfit the class with ML 1100 and get them into ethernet networking, and also design HMIs

For the class project, use the erector set suggested earlier, but network the PLCs so anyone can run their program directly from their controller, and any HMI can operate it.

TM - who wishes Unitronics had more overall market penetration in the states (but it's getting there!)

AB Control Logix. Data structures, array, indirect adressing, networking, basic network theory & setup, HMIs, motion control, temperature control, PID, servo setup & tuning, Ethernet/IP passing consumed & produced tags.

Yeah. That'd cover the first 2 weeks or so.

It's not my lab, but I might show up from time to time.

Caveman, how are you coming along with the fountains?
I have picked up another new trade that might be of use...plastic welding...

David

Anything as long as C.Z-J. is my assistant.
38m.jpg

just a little backround....

The guy that posted this thread is a Prof. at Western Kentucky Univ., who has been given a real opportunity to kickstart the introduction of kids to PLC's. He is new to this area, so I have been helping introduce him to local vendors and industries. With any luck, he should be able to set up a great place to teach them.
He has the backing of the Univ PTB, and it looks like he will have good funding,too.

I would hope that he will get back here and give a more detailed overview of what he has planned...I spent the better part of one evening this past week talking with him, it was a pleasure to meet a young man that is that dedicated to teaching...and even more intrested in learning new things to help him teach better.

Welcome to our Forum David!

David:beerchug: :site: 👨🏻‍🏫

Professor David,

I have a friend who teaches PLCs at a local community college, and he even talked me into teaching one course there when an instructor quit mid-term. Based on that experience, I would suggest fuses on all the PLC Inputs and Outputs, sized about 1 Amp less than each I/O is rated for, because the students will create some short circuits.

I suggest 24 vdc inputs and 24 vdc relay outputs, for added student safety. Then I would wire each student PLC (through the fuse panel) to a patch panel that has several sets of pushbuttons, selector switches, and indicator lights. The students must plug in the correct device to create an Input or Output circuit.

If the budget allows, also provide at least one analog input and one analog output at each workstation. A flowmeter (analog inut) controlling a variable-speed pump (analog output), pumping liquid from one small tank to another is a nice learning tool that simulates some real-world applications.

Last edited:
David,

School is not always about what you learn, but creating the skills so your students can continue to learn outside of the classroom setting.

With that said, you would want a lab that focuses on the fundamentals. Identifying products that will provide a cross section of the industry.

More specifically, you obviously want to train them how to think critically, being able to create programs from an idea or concept. In essence, thinking like the PLC processes it's program, top to bottom, left to right...in a step by step method.

What would your lab be equipped with?

The PLC obviously, but not a basic unit. One that can enable you to teach about real world occurances. Besides the digital I/O, you would want various types of analog I/O for training them how to work with things like pressure transducers, variable frequency drives, temperature inputs...etc.

Besides the PLC, you will want an operator interface and touch screen in that a larger percentage of PLCs are now installed with some sort of display.

In addition to the hardware, you will want an HMI/SCADA software package in that PLCs are not just for machine control anymore but are also used for process control. The HMI software interface would provide the ability to create real world scenarios that students can actually work with.

It goes without saying that you would need all the peripheral devices that would work in conjunction with the PLC.

With the time typically alloted for semester based courses, you would be hard pressed to offer all of this at one time, therefore you would probably want to create several sections.

1. Introduction to Automation, using PLCs
2. Intermediate PLC course - include analog
3. Advanced PLC course - include various communication protocols
4. Advanced PLC course - Operator interfaces and Touch Screens
5. Advanced PLC coures - HMI/Scada software

It isn't just about showing them how everything works, but, being able to apply what they learn to any situation/scenario they are presented.

Much will depend on your budget and how many credit hours you have been alotted for this course.

My tech went to ITT and had a PLC course that consisted of an AB PLC. The sad part is, they didn't do any of the above, they inputed information into a programmer and saw the lights turn on.

When he came to us, he had a very basic understanding. Everything that he learned about our controllers was done after he was hired. The training that he received provided him with knowing what a PLC was and that was about it.

On a side note, don't let anyone dictate to you what PLC to use. Many will tell you to use AB because it is the most widely used. You are not an AB training school, you are not training them to use AB. You are teaching them the fundamentals, enabling them to take what they have learned and either apply it to what they are confronted with, or be able to find out how.

Hope this helps.

God Bless,

Thanks for the kind words, Mr. Emmerich! The pleasure was mine. I will share my vision of the lab I'm planning in a little while... I don't want to influence the others' comments. :)

I'll leave this teaser, though - the total expected cost is up to $1.1 million. 🤞🏻

Dr Hockey,

How much floor space and overhead do you have? For $1.1 mil I envision centers for different types of projecets that student teams will rotate to develop different applications. Each center would be a model mockup of the application. The PLC would be wired to the model, but the students would be assigned to develop the PLC programs and make the systems function in the desired manner. As the students move from center to center the applications would become increasingly complex, and require more advanced instructions. Something like the following:

1) A simple stop light application.
2) A conveyer center with merging then sorting.
4) An X Y & Z positioning application.
3) A pick and place robot.
5) A process center that would include a PID application.

By the time they've compleated the final assignment they will have used just about every instruction in the set, and have a good understanding how & why it works in the real world.