OT: Win XP SP2, how to turn off security notifications ?

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi, sorry for this off topic question. It pertains to some HMI PCs that in no way are connected to the internet.
I havent turned on the virus checker and also turned off automatic updates.
Thus, I constantly get annoying security notifications at frequent intervals.
Is there a way to turn these messages off ?

Last edited:
I'm not sure exactly which service it is, but I'm pretty sure you'll be able to turn it off from the setup menu.

In my German version the route to it would be:

Start -> Systemsteuerung -> Verwaltung -> Dienste

You may need to do a bit of trial and error to find out exactly what you need to turn off. While you're in there anyway, there's a whole lot of rubbish that Windoze turns on automatically that you don't need either - support for instant messaging etc. Turning these off can free up a load of system resources.

Perhaps somebody else can come up with a definitive list of which services really aren't needed.

Edit: Found potentially interesting info here. The "Alerter" service looks like a good candidate.

Now I just need to figure out what the German terms are!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.

I found a simple "trick" to turn off the most annoying messages.
There is a setting in the Security Dialog that tells Windows that "I am using a separate virus protection". Then there will be no warnings. There is still a yellow warning indication in the taskbar which is fair enough.

I have also cleaned up a lot of the RUN services in the registry, including all the ones from Siemens. No problems so far.

Maybe I will also use the more radical approach of manipulating the services directly. But it takes a bit of detective work to do that.

edit: just checked that link Roy, it was interesting :)

Last edited:
In XP SP2, and Win 2003, the control panel (classic view) has a 'Security Center' applet.

In there, you can select 'change the way security center alerts me' in the resources box on the left. All alerting may be disabled from there.

Aha, that sounds kinda obvious actually.

I didnt notice that at first. On my own stationary our IT department has locked out any finger-poking with the security center.

Thanks.