5000 new plc, device not recognized

russrmartin

Hey guys, I have a potentially really easy one for you. I have a 5563 processor that I want to download my project to. I have the rack connected via ethernet and the card looks good. I set up a driver in Linx though, and I get a device not recognized. I've never set up one of these from scratch. Is there something else I need to do? I was under the impression that I could connect the ethernet module to the network, setup a driver in linx, and download my program. Is there something missing, or is this thinking just not correct? Thanks.

Russ

Im not sure whats up but let me say several things.

How is your computer connected to the Ethernet card? Is there a switch? Also make sure the Ethernet port on your computer has a fixed IP address in the same segment as the IP is the chassis.

If this doesnt help make sure your RSLynx is up to date and give us more information.

Also, have you flashed the firmware of the CPU yet? They ship with base firmware of 1.xx, and you need to flash to whichever version of RSLogix 5000 you are using. The firmware files should be in a folder on your RSLogix 5000 installation CD.

Actually if his software is version 13 (may be 12) or later, when he tries to download the program, if the firmware of the program does not match the firmware of the processor, it will prompt him to download.

Making progress

Well, I made the decision to try to do the initial download serially, which led me to the knowledge that I did have update some firmware. I'm in the process of that now. I'm thinking that the firmware updates had a lot to do with my problems, but no definite answers yet. According to the only guy I have asked here, he has done all of his initial downloads serially. Then communicated thereafter via ethernet.

If my memory serves me correctly.... and if that's a 5563 Rev B processor you will need Version 15 firmware. Check the flyer that came with the processor in the box to identify the Firmware Rev necessary.

HLeap said:
If my memory serves me correctly.... and if that's a 5563 Rev B processor you will need Version 15 firmware. Check the flyer that came with the processor in the box to identify the Firmware Rev necessary.

Yep, I think you are correct. What version of RsLogix 5000 do you have?

HLeap said:

No this is incorrect,
Ser B processor can be used with FW rev 12, 13 and 15
But you have to get corresponding FW from the website

Well, the biggest problem that we faced was that the IP address we were using would not work on the hub we were connected to, I dunno, it was an IT problem though. We got a different IP address and I am communicating now. Firmware has been upgraded and the program is loaded. What I am facing now is that I have a RSView Studio project that I want to address my objects in, and I cannot browse the PLC for the taglist. In the connections tab in RSV studio, I can browse the PLC no problem. When I doubleclick the comms setup, I can see the PLC in the local tab, but if I try to set the target path to the plc, I cannot get there. I am pretty sure that I need to do this to be able to browse the PLC's taglist. Anybody got an idea what's up? Thanks.

Russ

Am I correct that you have set up a communications path (and created a shortcut) that allows you to see the PLC tags in RSView Studio, (from the Local tab of RSLinx Enterprise) but you are concerned because you cannot automatically see the same path on the Target tab?

If this is the case, you can click the Copy button, and it will copy the local tab configuration to the target tab, and you should be good to go...

The reason for the two tabs is that you could potentially use a different path for testing the application and running it on the PanelView.

For example you could set up the Local tab to communicate to a copy of a program running on RSLogix 5000 Emulate (on a local computer), but then create the Target tab so the PanelView will communicate with the correct controller on the plant floor.

Rick