CompactLogix with what I/O Driver

ieseng

Hi all,
I'm looking at connecting a CompactLogix L-31 with Intouch 9.5.
The PLC doesn't have e/net ports so I'll have to use serial, so what are my options on I/O Drivers? Is the only option ABKF2? There are no CompactLogix options in this driver, so if anyone else has done this can you let me know what you did.
Many thanks,

RSLinx SingleNode is the best solution and OPC as the poster above states. Means you can use RSLogix5000 on the same machine.

Make sure you set the baud rates to 38.4k and optimise the HMI tags into nice tight UDT's, with names as short as possible. The extra overhead of CIP named tags will gobble up all the bandwidth of the Serial port very quickly...but otherwise it should work just fine. The L31 processor is excellent value for money if you don't need Ethernet port performance.

Or if you need Ethernet performance on an existing L31, a 1761-NET-ENI is a less expensive upgrade than a L32E.

On other thing to think about with RsLinx. If you think there may be a second PLC added, you may want to look at RsLinx OEM. It is the same as single node but does not have a limit on PLCs. I think it is a few hundred more

You may already know this, but you can also get a NetENI module from Allen-Bradley to use as an ethernet to serial port adaptor. I've used it with SLC500s and it works okay. Never used it with a CompactLogix, but it might be worth checking into.

Compactlogix with Intouch

I'll let you know what path I choose as I'll be testing the PLC today.

Thanks again guys.
Dave.

Failed to connect

Hi guys, just been told we cannot use the 1761-NET-ENI or RSLogix as the client wont pay for it.
So does anyone know if it's possible to connect using a serial connection to Intouch?
Thanks,

Just checked the site and it says this about their comms suite for $795 -
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CompactLogix 5320(1769-L20), 5330(1769-L30), 5331(1769-L31) via 1761-NET-ENI interface [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]so I would need the 1761-NET-ENI also.[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Looking at using RSlinx with the wwrslinx driver now.[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Thanks for the suggestion as they have some interesting points.
[/font]