PanelBuilder Installation / PC Issues

IDON84U

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm sure this is a very elementary issue, but I am having problems with upgrading my PanelBuilder Software. I was running version 3.81 and now NEED version 3.82. Obviously, I have successfully installed PanelBuilder and many other AB products, but now when trying to install the PanelBuilder software, the splash screen pops up and almost immediately goes away. At first, I thought it was an issue with popup stoppers and such. I disabled Popup Stopper, Norton Internet Security, Norton AntiVirus, Maxthon (my web browser), but it still will not load.

Of course, when I called AB tech support, they say it's a PC issue and they don't have any suggestions.

Please any advice would be much appreciated.

I had a problem with 3.82 on XP and Tech Support advised me to contact microsoft about a hotfix. MS KB831559. It should be fixed in XP SP2. v Contact Tech Support again and suggest this.

Okay, good questions. I should have mentioned I was running 2000. And, yes, I have uninstalled PanelBuilder 3.81. I have two other "active" projects right now using PanelBuilder and 3.81 is working just fine with them. The problem was on trying to use the "Print Only Object" on this project. Tech Support told me that there was an issue with 3.81 and suggested going to 3.82. I, at first, downloaded from the web with these results. Then I got my software from the office, and it does the same thing.

I'll look to see what version of Panelbuilder I'm running on 2000 when I get to work. I believe it is 3.82

What problem were you having with the print only object?

I was trying to print a "report" for the operators. I am going to use an integer and change the value every 1/4 second or so to print the various lines of the "report" with imbedded data. I would add additional states and then save everything. It looked like I was doing everything correctly, but when I went back to look at the states, they would be missing and the final state parameters would be in the Error state line. AB Tech Support said they had an issue with the version 3.81 software and that I needed to upgrade to 3.82. That's what started all of this.

Of course, I was at another plant today, and after uninstalling 3.81 and not being able to upgrade to 3.82, you guessed it, I needed it and couldn't use it!

The last suggestion I got from AB Tech Support was to start up in Safe Mode and write down all services that are running, then start up normally and stop all but the "safe mode" services. Then try to install the software.

In reading information about version 3.82, I saw that they required RSLinx version 3.43 and I was running 3.42, so I upgraded to version 3.5. This installation went just fine, so what is the difference between these two installations?

I'm rather perplexed by this whole situation.

Thanks for any help you, or anyone else for that matter, can give.

Have a good one,

Patrick <><

RSLinx 3.43?
The latest release, CPR 7, AFAIK is 2.5x
The older version was 2.4x, so I'm assuming a typo there.

Ignoring that.

Part of what RSLinx installs, are EDS files. EDS files are what describes every possible AB/Rockwell thingy. When upgrading RSLinx, it is strongly advised (actually, I've found it necessary) to completely UNINSTALL prior versions.

Uninstall the old version, reboot, then install the new one.

Now, I don't know why PanelBuilder choked, but it has traditionally been very VERY version dependent, and if you use any transfer option other than the "DIRECT", you do rely on Linx to establish the connection.

Thanks for the info, but I have no issues with RSLinx. As a matter of fact, after installing version 2.5 (and, yes, it was a typo, sorry!), I successfully used it today on an RSLogix5000 project.

The reason I mentioned RSLinx was simply that I was successful installing it, but that the PanelBuilder will not install. When trying to install PanelBuilder version 3.82, either from the web download or my DVD, I get the splash screen for a second or so and then it just disappears.

Thanks for the input, though, and any ideas on the PanelBuilder install issues would be much appreciated. I do have Siemens software installed on this machine (as well as OMRON), but I'm sure it was on there when I installed PanelBuilder version 3.81, too.

In the middle of the screen it shows the AB PanelBuilder logo with version 3.82.01 on it. Down in the lower right hand corner is the "PanelBuilder 32 InstallShield Wizard" showing the percent complete. It shows 0 % complete and then, simply, goes away.

Again, thanks to all who have suggestions. Any and all (within reason) ideas will be tried (hmmmm, I think I may have just opened myself up to a fifteen page thread!).

When you do Start Menu type Shutdown, do any programs come up as not responding and ask you if you wish to end them?

Not the off button type shutdown

I have not tried the Safe Mode yet. I will try that this morning some time. I'm busy on other things, if you know what I mean. Installing an upgrade is not supposed to take this long and I have other fires to fight!

Thanks, once again for your help.

And the answers to your other questions are yes, I am performing a controlled shutdown, and yes, periodically I do get some "not responding" messages.

How often is periodically. If it is doing this everytime, I may have something else for you to try. But if it is not doing it everytime it will not be the problem

Okay, so here's an update on my problem. I have started my computer in Safe Mode, looked at what Services were running (this to give me a "barebones" running computer). I then restarted the computer "normally," went into the Services and stopped everything except what I found running in the Safe Mode (there were a couple of things that would not allow me to stop them). I then tried to install PanelBuilder version 3.82 ... no luck. I tried version 3,81 ... no luck. I then started the computer in Safe Mode and tried to install the software, still no luck with either version.

I really don't know where to turn to from here. Again, any help would be much appreciated.