SLC acronym?

bioplc

SLC - standard logic controller?
soft logic controller...

this is the dumbest question no one ever posted on this forum..

boooaaahhhhh

'Small Logic Controller' Maybe close enough. I heard that somewhere too.

The SLC family was born with the SLC-100 - a woefully under powered brick intended to give AB entry into the smaller PLC market at a time when their product family offered the PLC2, PLC3 and PLC5 - all big system PLCs.

the manual for the SLC-100 introduces it this way:
These are microprocessor-based programmable controllers. They make up a technologically advanced control system having the inherent flexibility and advantages characteristic of other programmable controllers-but with an important difference:Simplicity.

So maybe it was supposed to be Simple Logic Controller. That would match the simple capabilities of the SLC-100.

It may be of interest to note that the terem "PLC" is a trademarked term for Allen Bradley/Rockwell. Before the IBM PC, PLCs were called just a PC - for programmable controller. But the term PLC gained broad acceptance to avoid confusion with the IBM PC, forcing the acronym into the public domain and thus "PLC" became the "Kleenex" of the controller world.

Maybe AB wished to avoid this problem again when they named the SLC - so they gave it a new acronym rather than calling it the PLC-100 or something like that.

I always thought it was "Slick Little Controller" or as we sometimes refered to them as "Sick Little Critters."

Definitely "small logic controller" which is sometimes known as a slick.
See the Preface header page and also P-3 of Rockwell publication 1747-6.2 December 1996
Regards Alan Case

SLC060315.GIF

TM, or no TM

It may be of interest to note that the terem "PLC" is a trademarked term for Allen Bradley/Rockwell. Before the IBM PC, PLCs were called just a PC - for programmable controller. But the term PLC gained broad acceptance to avoid confusion with the IBM PC, forcing the acronym into the public domain and thus "PLC" became the "Kleenex" of the controller world.
Just a little bit of information regarding Alaric's post. The term "PLC" *used* to be an Allen-Bradley/Rockwell Automation trademark.

However, specific brand names in the PLC family (such as PLC-5)are still registered Rockwell Automation trademarks.