communication between slc 5-04's

seracing

I have two machine's with slc 5-04's. I have them connected on a Dh+ network. I need to have one send a bit to the other when task are complete. Does anyone have a peer to peer script for this?

Thanks in advance

After looking at other post has it looks like I can use a Global Status Bit.
Has anyone used this?

Last edited:
Last edited:
It appears that you can use the Global Status Word (S:99) for this purpose. I don't have a second 5/04, but I was able to either the MOV or COP instructions to move data from a file to S:99. Using a custom data monitor with my source file (N10:30) and the GSW (S:99), I could change the value of the source and watch S:99 immediately update with the new value. I have never tried this before today, but I have had a number of customers tell me that they use the GSW to pass discrete bits between 5/04's.

I have used Global Data several times, it is great if you only need to send or receive one word from each processor.

From the help files:
Global Status Word S:99

This is the word reserved to hold the SLC 5/04 (OS401) controller's global status data that is to be transmitted with each DH+ token pass packet over channel 1.

Transmit Control Bit S:34/3

When this bit is set (1), the controller transmits the global status word with every token pass. When this bit is clear (0), the controller passes the token without the global status word. The default state of this bit is 0.

Receive Control Bit S:34/4

When this bit is set (1), the controller places the global status word that it receives from other nodes on the DH+ network into the Global Status word (S:100 through S:163). When this bit is cleared (0), the controller ignores the global status word that it receives from other nodes on the DH+ network. The default state of this bit is 0.

S:100 to S:163 Node

These words comprise the System Status file. This file size is consistent with the number of nodes on the DH+ network and contains the global status words received by these nodes. When received, each DH+ node's global status word is placed in this file and indexed to its node number.
You can use the Global Status File to send a high-speed broadcast to all processors on a network in one token rotation. Using an MSG instruction would require as many MSG instructions and token rotations as there are processors on the network. This is useful for such activities as sending start/stop signals, synchronizing processors, and synchronizing clocks.

RSLogix 500 - Copyright Rockwell Software 2000, 2001, 2002

Ken Moore said:
I have used Global Data several times, it is great if you only need to send or receive one word from each processor.

From the help files:
Global Status Word S:99

This is the word reserved to hold the SLC 5/04 (OS401) controller's global status data that is to be transmitted with each DH+ token pass packet over channel 1.

Transmit Control Bit S:34/3

When this bit is set (1), the controller transmits the global status word with every token pass. When this bit is clear (0), the controller passes the token without the global status word. The default state of this bit is 0.

Receive Control Bit S:34/4

When this bit is set (1), the controller places the global status word that it receives from other nodes on the DH+ network into the Global Status word (S:100 through S:163). When this bit is cleared (0), the controller ignores the global status word that it receives from other nodes on the DH+ network. The default state of this bit is 0.

S:100 to S:163 Node

These words comprise the System Status file. This file size is consistent with the number of nodes on the DH+ network and contains the global status words received by these nodes. When received, each DH+ node's global status word is placed in this file and indexed to its node number.
You can use the Global Status File to send a high-speed broadcast to all processors on a network in one token rotation. Using an MSG instruction would require as many MSG instructions and token rotations as there are processors on the network. This is useful for such activities as sending start/stop signals, synchronizing processors, and synchronizing clocks.

RSLogix 500 - Copyright Rockwell Software 2000, 2001, 2002

The old saying "you learn something new every day" is certainly true for me today ! (y)