student in school

If I needed help with some programming homework would this be a good site to help? On my first semester and sometimes I get a little confused. Trying to learn the basics before I hit the real world.

Yes this would be a good site, only as long as you show effort on your part. If you request assistance in understanding something and actually demonstrate real effort on your part, then you couldnt have picked a better site. If you want others to do your assignments, then get a bucket of water ready, because your gonna get flamed.

Thanks for asking...& welcome to the forum

Just need some hints on what to do only. I have some programs that I just can't get to work the way it's suppose to. We are using AB plc's running RSlogix500 software. Got stuck on this assignment:USE ONE TRUE TO FALSE INPUT TO ALTERNATE BETWEEN TWO OUTPUTS REPEATEDLY. Question? Do you use a timers? counters? latch? ?????????????I tried and had no success. Just won't some direction to get me started.

A flip flop is a good way to approach the problem, and that is how I would approach this first problem. But there are multiply ways to solve the problem.

Here is a hint for another possible way - something to help you start thinking in the right direction.

In binary:
0 = 0000
1 = 0001
2 = 0010
3 = 0011
4 = 0100
5 = 0101
6 = 0110
7 = 0111
8 = 1000

Do you see a pattern in the bits I highlighted? What other patterns do you see?

Searched for flip flop and tried it, but it's not exactly what I need to do. My fault because I did'nt explain it correctly. Let me word it as the instructor did: SWITCH CLOSES OUTPUT COMES ON, SWITCH OPENS OUTPUT GOES OUT.......SAME SWITCH CLOSE AGAIN BUT THIS TIME A DIFFERANT OUTPUT COMES ON, SWITCH OPENS THIS OUTPUT GOES OUT. THIS PROGRAM REPEATS AS NECESSARY.

I just want to know maybe what to use and I'll try to take it from there.

Hint

The flip-flop should have given you a clue, and I had hoped it would get you thinking in the right direction, but I guess you need another nudge.

So.....

If you look at Alaric's post, what do you see? You see a decimal number going up in value and next to the decimals the equivilent in binary. Pay attention to the bit pattern.

Now with what instruction in the PLC might you associate similar behaviour? (HINT: It's a counter)

Last edited:
Firstly, thank you for coming back and letting the members know that they were able to help. I am sure they will remember you in future. Many do not even bother and then come back demanding working programs.
Also, congratulations on your achievement.

This is how we wold like all students to behave on this site. You provided specific questions, specific information, you indicated you had made efforts on your own, and you came back with your results and thanked those who helped. All in all a very professional approach. I predict you will have a good future in this field.

Does a guy from the east coast have trouble fitting into the culture in LA?