Fun with Pbase (Allen-Bradley)

Steve Kemp

Is anyone here familiar with AB's 1746-BAS basic module? 9 out of 10 downloads result in corrupted data (short 232 lead; office environment). As it echos during download, I can see the random corruption of the data. Jumpers are set appropriately (RS232). Much scratching of heads at UK helpdesk regarding the module, let alone the problem... Any thoughts? Thanks, Steve.

I've used this module in many applications, usually for interfacing bar code readers. I rarely touch PBASE. I just use Notepad for editing and Hyperterminal for downloading and monitoring. I just use the 'Send Text File' option for transmitting and the 'Capture Text' for reading the program.

I'll second Bernie's experience. I have about 30 basic modules and all of them are programmed using hyperterminal and notepad. I have never seen pbase or would know how to use it.

I have used Pbase...and to back up the other guys statements,....stay away from it.

First off, you need the OS Win95 or earlier.
Will not run on Win98, 2K, XP.......

Notepad and Hyperterminal are the best choices.
Although, Pbase has extra features that notepad and Hyperterminal do not have. (example fast-coding)

Only AB Pbase can do all that the basic module was intended to do. The other software pkgs are for editing and downloading. Writing a new program with PBASE is easier than that using notepad.
You also use PBASE to configure the card correctly, like the port useage...etc.
It cost me $700 3 years ago. (All on Floppies to boot...) no punn intended@!

Thanks for the advice. I "inherited" Pbase, but decided to use hyperterminal (for the first time) anyway. I soon tried Pbase instead (as an MSDOS window under WindowsXPPro) because the capture function yieled an empty HT screen and send text file just produced the "save" dialogue box, followed by an error: could not open file. I've tried copy/paste from notepad to HT, but still an empty screen. I also tried saving the .txt as a .ht and then using "open file". Another empty screen. In order to check the comms in HT, I tried the "receive file" function. I get a list of modem options (where's my com3, mr. menu?). Needless to say, it fails via any modem choices. It's no longer a challenge; just a big waste of my time :( ...Nuff moaning. Steve.

Steve
It sounds like you need to change your Hyperterminal settings.
Make sure you are disconnected (little phone icon in tool bar shows on hook). In Connection | Properties, change "Connect Using" to COM1 (or your COM port number). Still in Properties, click Configure.. and set up the port. The default 1747-BAS settings are 1200-8-N-1. You can change the speed once you're connected by using MODE(). The jumpers on the BAS need to be set to make PRT1 RS232 and the programming port. JW1 should be OK in factory default, JW4 you may need to change (default is programming on DH485). RS232 cable should be null modem.

As far as I know, the .ht file only saves the connection setup.
I haven't tried sending a text file yet, but using Transfer | Capture Text to save stuff works OK for me.

You CANNOT use WinXP in order to run Pbase a MS-DOS window. It may look like it is running, but it will never communicate or function properly. There are NUMEROUS tech notes on this.

Trust me, I have tried everything.

You MUST use Win95 or EARLIER.

There are no exceptions.

If you do decide to use PBASE, use add a partition to your HD and install Win95 on it. Then install PBase. Trust me, it is way easier to use than Hyperterminal for what you are doing.

Thanks again, guys. Stil no go, though. I'm off for the weekend now, and won't be back on this one till wed. (Adding Omron RFID tags to a machine on mon/tues. That should be fun!) All the best.

Steve.

kcarlen said:
I have used Pbase...and to back up the other guys statements,....stay away from it.

...Trust me, it is way easier to use than Hyperterminal for what you are doing.

? Steve.

What a load of £$%^&* rubbish PBase is I can't believe AB could charge so much for c£$%p, hyperteminal or any other is just as good.

Steve, to clarify what I have said in the past...

If you just want to edit, then use Hyperterminal if you want, and open it in notepad. (Any communication software will work)

If you are programming, or changing card properties, then you need PBASE. Read the manual on PBASE if you are unsure of the differences.

I indicated to stay away from it because for most existing apps, you don't need it in order to view or edit. You are not looking at the compiled code, if you are viewing it under notepad. Pbase compiles the basic code that is written into a better format. It will not run on new OS's correctly.

kcarlen said:
If you are programming, or changing card properties, then you need PBASE. Read the manual on PBASE if you are unsure of the differences.

Many programmers (including myself) have done without PBASE; its always been considered optional and overpriced. All of the call statements are documented, either by A-B or the processor MFG (just google for Basic-51 or Basic-52).