Micrologix 1000 interface

twagner350

I am pretty new to PLCs but I am interested in using a plc to control a system at work. Our current system configuration has manual toggle switches to power the different devices. I would like to use a PLC instead and interface it to a C++ program to control certain devices (on/off). Would a Micrologix 1000 work good for this or do I need something else? Any advice on the interface would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, it is a perfect stable platform to use. (And economical)
Use one of the many RSLINX drivers available in order to use a STD pc running RSLINX,through RS232 and you are off to the races.
You will still need to buy the RSlogix500 software...if you don't already have it.
Actually, if you are brand new into the AB PLC's, there is an entry level package that is available with most of what you will need to get started for under 1G.
Good luck,

I strongly recommend a step up from the ML1000 to the Micro Logix 1200 unless this is a very simple system. The ML1200 cost is only a few dollars more but it has significantly more capabilities.

A little more information about the system and what it does may be helpful in giving you a better recomendation.

I was trying to steer you to the "pkg" that AB offers, due to the fact that the software and cable comes with it for the price.

Truly, if you want more functionality I wouldn't use the "plain-Jane" ML1000 either, but the ML1100, with built in Ethernet and Comm Ports. The 1200 is older again, but has some decent I/O. It is FULLY expandable with all of the ML1200-1500 series cards.

I just bought one for $650.00.

Depending on your situation, (I mean do you have software already) there are other routes.

Good Luck,

Kcarlen,

I took a look at the package deal that you pointed me to. I have a cable (1761-/CBL-PM02) and I also have some software that the professor from my PLC course gave me but I have not had a chance to try to use it yet because my cable will not be here until Monday. I believe that the software is the "start" version and I am not sure if it is usable with the Micrologix 1000 or what it is capable of. I do need the unit to be relatively small like the 1000 but maybe the 1100 is better. The PLC will mainly just be controlling the power on sequence of 4 cameras and about 8 other devices. The reason we would like to interface the system with C++ is so we can cycle power to a device or shut off a device at will through the GUI. I will look further into comparing the 1000,1100,and 1200
Thanks for all of your help so far.

I am working with the ML1100 right now. Wow, this thing is going to kick some *** out there. As long as you can upgrade the software to Version 7, then DEFINEATELY go for the ML1100.

The GUI on the front of the PLC is perfect for manipulation of DATA, or whatever you program.

For anyone that is familliar with RSlogix500, then they will love the ML1100.

Finally, AB has something that will be competetive in the "Small" world PLC market.

BTW, you can communicate directly from the PC Serial port to the PLC, or use Ethernet Drivers, whichever you prefer.

I don't mean to rant about this product....but I am truly happy that AB has come out with such a product! It even does ONLINE programming! Anyone that has been developing with the older ML1200, 1500 or ML1000 know what a pain in the ARSE it is to do minor changes.

Thanks AB for listening to those countless survey's that you have daunted us with over the years!!