How to use S7 PLC WITH S5 I/O MODULES

ramyau

Hi,
How to use S7 PLC with S5 I/O modules?
is there any special module to do this?
what r the draw backs in doing it?
can anyone answer immediately so that i can complete my project?
Thanks

Immediate answer: (or as fast as my typing allows ...)

I think Siemens promised 'carrier' modules which would allow some of the simpler S5 modules to be enclosed and inserted in to an S7-400 rack. I've never seen one so I don't know how they work.

Otherwise, use the S5 modules in a Profibus-DP slave (IM308 interface module) and connect to any DP-master.

Let me know immediately when you complete your project.

Regards

Ken

it cannot be done with S7-200 PLC?

hi,
Thanks for ur immediate reply..
but can this be done with S7-200 PLC?
Regared
Ramya

ramyau said:
Hi,
How to use S7 PLC with S5 I/O modules?
is there any special module to do this?

Hi

Are you going to leave old IO's to S5-rack(s) (115U or 135U/155U)?
1) S7-plc must be S7-400 series and you must use IM463-2 interface module on it. You can connect up to 8 S5-expansion rack on IM463-2. Of course, S5-rack you must include IM314 interface module.
2) Check S5-racks compatibily for IM314. In some cases you must change the rack type for better model.
3) Parametrizing of IM463-2 is very easy -> you can't miss it.

-Pete-

PS: I have been used this system couple of times and it works fine.

Last edited:
s5 cpus

HI,
The S5 CPU'S that are used in existing system are S5 95U & S5 100U
THE I/O's are less than 200 in nos
So ur sure that we cannot use S7 200 system for this?
Thanks
Ramya

ramyau said:
HI,
The S5 CPU'S that are used in existing system are S5 95U & S5 100U
THE I/O's are less than 200 in nos

Hi again

In this case you can replace S5-CPU's with ET200U interface modules and connect them to Profibus-DP. After it they are working like normal distributed IO-stations.
Is this possible to do S7-200, I really don't know? I don't have any experience S7-200 PLC's (thank good) :)

You must notice follows -> 95U includes "integrated" Onboard digital- and analog IO's ( + "extras" depending the model) -> if they are used, think how you gonna replace them.

-Pete-

Hello ramyau;

So ur sure that we cannot use S7 200 system for this?

Very sure.

[FIN]Pete gave you very complete information on what hardware was to be used with a S7-400 PLC, and Ken told you you could use any Profibus master (the S7-200 can only act as a Profibus-DP slave).

Hope this heps,
Daniel Chartier

Some additional info: because the Siemens S7-200 is in fact based on a Texas Instruments PLC, it is impossible to use S5 modules at the time. It is as if you were to use Allen-Bradley IO on a Siemens CPU, that's also impossible. The only way this could be done, beit in a limited way, is if both can use a common system. If Allen-Bradley IO could be used as Profibus DP slaves, and the configuration files are available in Step 7, then you could use AB IO with a Siemens CPU, provided it has a Profibus DP connection and it can act as Profibus DP master. I personally don't see that coming very soon.

Kind regards,

Thanks for your detailed reply but still i have a doubt can we use a S7300 CPU and ET-200U (with S5 I/O'S)for expansion?
If so how is it possible?
Thanks
Ramya

Notes

Dear ramyau,

You can also convert the existing program to S7-300/400.

I'm not sure if you can obtain nowadays the IM module to convert your 95U in a ET200U. If you get one it will probably be second hand.

hope this helps,
kelkoon

I'm not sure if you can obtain nowadays the IM module to convert your 95U in a ET200U. If you get one it will probably be second hand.

Hi

Since 01.10.2004 all the S5-100U components has removed to the "spare part list", if have ordering number for these equipments -> no problem! Of course, price is rising up all the time.
Think twice, which circumtances supports the ET200U solution and compare your results for alternative solutions (i.e. ET200M).
* Plant restart time.
* Existing spare parts at storage.
* and so on...