1756-enbt

plcengineer

Can I configure a controllogix processor out of the box with the ethernet port. I have always done it via serial port first, then used Enet.​
tks,​
Plcengineer​

The easiest way to configure ENBT IP address is to use processor serial port and RSLINX DF1 driver.

Just navigate to the backplane and to the ENBT in RSWHO

Did I understand your question correctly?

Well, that is the way that I have always done it. However, I heard the other day that you could do it before setting it up serially. So, I was wandering if anyone had done it. I don't know how.

Another way is to use a BOOTP server.
Some people don't like it, but it is relatively simple ones you used it few times.

The card does come with BootP enabled and the BootP utility comes with RsLinx.

One thing, what are you trying to accomplish by doing this. Do you not have a serial port? Not that I have an objection, just wondering your reason

Look at THIS manual beginning with page 3-3 and it will explain how to use the BootP to configure the Ethernet Address

Edit - Contr_Conn beat me to it, but still curious the reason

Last edited:
BootP for me.
My laptop doesn't have serial ports & I can't be bothered with a converter 90% of the time.

One other method you can use to configure the IP Address if you happen to have a Controllogix chassis with an ENBT already in it and a spare slot is to put the new ENBT in the chassis. You don't even have to plug the Ethernet connector in. You can then use the same DF1 method to configure the address in RsLinx only go through your old ENBT and drill down do the new ENBT

Just FYI:

New Logix Ethernet module 1756-EN2T will take care of these problems
It will have 2 new ways to assign IP address:
- Rotary switches with functionality similar to 1734-AENT
- Front USB port - just plug in USB cable and you will see module in RSlinx.

Just wait few months ;)

It probably goes without saying, but the biggest plus to using bootp to set the IP address for the ENBT module first is that you can download the firmware to the CLX processor much faster once you have the ENBT configured.

Thanks fo the BOOTP advice. We had been first connecting to a CompactLogix by serial and updating firmware that way. needless to say - many cups of coffee. Using BOOTP to set the IP then updating firmware has severly cut into my caffine intake.