Shielded cable for EMC interference

Steve_D

Guys, here in Oz, every variable speed drive motor cable must have a shield that should be clamped at both ends (or fitted into an EMC) gland. The client has standardised on PVC isolators, there are MANY reasons but please assume that metal isolators are not an option. I am trying to find the neatest way of continuing the screen through the isolator. I have been told that cutting and twisting the screen and making it into a wire also turns it into an aerial and is not good practice. How does the rest of the world do it?? any suggestions..any radio wave techies out there???

- Use EMC glands and earth tags on incoming & outgoing cables
- Install the glands side by side so that the small holes in the tags overlap & line up, then bolt them together.

You do end up with an extra hole through the body of the isolator using this method to accomodate the bolt, if you need to maintain the ingress protection of the enclosure, you may want to fit a nylon washer under the bolt.

Last edited: