AB Conformal Coating

Greg Dake

Does anyone know if AB offers the conformal coating option on their SLC 500 processors, chassis backplanes, and I/O cards? How much does this add to the cost?

TIA,

Greg

It is offered for the CLGX and Compact Logix. I am not certain if you can get it for SLC-500. As of today, they do not do the coating on their flex factory. This is sent out after fabrication, stripped down, coated and then rebuilt. The CLGX added typically $100-150 per device. I cannot say it was worth it.

Consider if you really need it before you go and get it. We have found the failure rates to be significant with Conformal Coating and issues with bent pins.

Thanks for the feedback, from your response it would appear that the conformal coating option could be trading one problem for another. They must send it out to a 3rd party to get it done, from the sounds of it they don't take a whole lot of pride in their work, at least from your experience......I see you're from Wi, what part? What industry are you in? I'm in Germantown, in the food and beverage industry....

Greg

Greg - yes you could say we were / are not impressed with the Conformal Coating provided by Rockwell. They do recognize it as a requirement and are moving toward being able to it in house before assembly. Modicon/Square D does it in house and is part of their standard price list as a part number (add a C to the end of each part number).

I am in Milwaukee area. Worked in various industries including Foundry, Automotive, Chemical, Food/Beverage, Water/Wastewater. Been in the area working all my career but have gone where the work is (ie traveled to sites etc..).