Siemens S7-314 connect TP 170A

htrendafilov

Hi!
I have one TP 170A panel from Siemens. I can't configure it in HW manager on Step7 V5.3, do I need a GSD file or there is some other way. I need to connect it ad Profibus DP slave.

Thank you !

You don't use the hardware manager to configure a TP (or other panel), you need Protool or WinCC Flex.

It is within these programs that you set up the bus parameters.

The panel will also become the Profibus master, but there is no need to worry about that.

If you need any more help, then just ask

Paul

Try to explain why you want the TP170 to be a DP slave.

It is not required that the TP170 is included in the STEP7 project, but there may be reasons to why one would do it anyway. If you explain some more about your application, then we can help better.

Jesper

I received a PM from htrendafilov a few days ago (the day of the original post I think) stating that he has manage to sort his problem out, apparently he had to change the bus configuration from DP to DP/FMS. I have never come across that when using TP's, have you? I have only used TP270's and TP27's.

Paul

Paul.

I dont know what htrendafilov really wanted to achieve, or what the problem really was. I have a feeling that the solution may have been something else than specifying DP/FMS. But without konwing what the problem really was, who's to know ?

Normally you can connect a TP/OP to a master on a DP network with no problems. The TP/OP will not cause any problems. The only reason I can think of for wanting to add the TP/OP as a DP slave is to configure "direct keys".

edit: I misunderstood what you meant. I mean to say that I can see absolutely no reason to specify the bus type as DP/FMS in connection with using a panel.

Boy, I hate when a poster starts a thread vaguely, gets lots of people started, and then dont even care to post back that we dont have to bother anyway !

Last edited:
Hi, guys!

Thank you for answering me and sorry that some have been mad at me, but I’ve just had a birthday on 23.March and then went skiing. Now I’m at home and shall try to explain more about my problem.

At our factory we have S7 400 PLC, I need to connect TP 170A to its PROFIBUS DP (1.5Mbps) network and show some alarm messages. Before implementing in the factory I’d like to test it and I have a S7 315-2DP PLC at home with simple Profibus DP.

I must jut say that it works weird and I really don’t get it, there is some problem but I don’t know exactly what and where.

I received from a friend a working project for TP 170A, there I saw that “Only master on the bus” was activated in ProTool and that he was using 187.5Kbps speed on the network (unacceptable for me).

1. I agree that this should work on DP network, I’m not talking for FMS any more.

2 . I activated “Only master on the network” and set the speed to 187.5 yes it works at once

and quite stabile.

3. When I get back to 1.5M speed it works quite unstable, sometimes I think that PLC-TP are not having synchronization, when I press a button trying to change a bit in the PLC it stays active and blocking the work of the TP for a while (several seconds) then continuing but without a result (no communication with PLC it seems). Then I try something On/Off power supply or download the HW set-up in the PLC once again, and suddenly there is communication

-[font=&quot] [/font]SEEMS THAT THEY HAVE PROBLEM TO SPEAK WITH EACH OTHER, TO SYNCHRONIZE

4. Then when I have communication finally, I’m trying something else, I take the power from the TP and then turn it on again. NO COMMUNICATION after the restart of TP. Then I take out and in again the Profibus cable -> guess … everything works, perfect communication.

Do you have some suggestions ???

Here are my thoughts

• I connected earth from PS to the display, I remember from previous work with Touch display that they were sensitive to earth connection.
  • Do you know the importance of parameter System Clock x100ms, can there be some problem, I have set it to 20x100ms, I thing it is very slow and should have any influence.
  • I have connected real Profibus cable and changed several plugs to avoid HW fail on the line
  • I don’t know if the test PLC have some problems with its Profibus slot, but I have used it several times with ET200M slaves and Link20E and it worked without a problem
  • I think to connect the display to the original system and try it if it’s working properly, I began to think that there should be some problem with my test equipment ??? but is it so ?

One thing you can try is to integrate the protool project in the STEP7 project.
Then make sure that the online connection in the Protool projects points to the configured PLC via Profibus.
The reason I suggest this is that STEP7 will then take care of the proper Profibus setup including the calculation of the Profibus token rotation time.

Hi, again!
No I don't understand it, I have integrated my project in Step7 from the beginning, but I have the same result.
Now I came from work and switched on my test PLC and TP, exactly the same problem, I don't receive any status information on TP before I take out one plug of the profibus and the plug it in again. After that I have contact.
Do you hav any Idea about the ProTool parameter "Only master on the bus" shall it be On or Off.
Can the whole matter be just a production failure, I see that TP170A is not the most prefered, they seem to be just the prototype and have a few functions.

Hei igen !

I think that maybe you havent assigned the master properly to the TP170A even if it is included in the STEP7 project. You have to point the online connection to the CPU when setting it up.
Normally this happens automatically anyhow, but if you started with a non-integrated project and then later integrated it into STEP7, then the connection is still of the manually asssigned type.
The reason that I think the above is that the "only master on the bus" setting gets assigned automatically and cannot be changed if it integrated in the proper way.

You can post your archived STEP7 project here. Strip it of the code blocks if you want to protect your code.

The TP170A is not a prototype, so dont worry about that. But it is definitely the least capable (and cheapest) of the graphical panels that work with the S7-300/400.
I know that there are several users on the forum that use the TP170A.

Of course you know these possibilities but sometimes u don't need to worry much.....

Few weeks ago not same but in a similar

Tp170a To 313c-2dp
I ' ve connected TP170A to 313c-2dp via MPi port .
I've wrote a simple code to check out touchpanel and cpu but, have a problem; push-button in screen doesn't set the bit, i think touch panel and cpu are not communicating, because when i connect or disconnect cable between op and plc there s no message on op screen. Is it normal? Because i remember in other types(OP7, OP270,..etc) there are messages like $5.. or PLC comm...
This is first time i use TP170A as you understand.

So firstable is it normal or not?
Second how i can check if op and plc communicating properly? and why not communicating?

In the same day i found the problem;
i saw that one of wires has broken in comm cable;
And Tp170's has broken so i bought a new one(also an original connector) and go on ;
i think in electronic sometimes problems are not complex softwares, simple hardwares.

Just thought of this:
It works relieably on 187.5k, but only so-so on 1.5M.
Then check that the termination resistors are properly installed.
At 187.5 Profibus is very forgiving. I have had projects where I did not have the termination resistor switched on at one end without any problems. In fact I tried (as an experiment) to attach a complete 100 meter reel of profibus cable without anything at the other end, no problem for the other nodes !
But at 1.5M the termination resistors are absolutely required.
The above is also the reason why I prefer 187.5k for DP connections in the plant.

edit: How to check it:
Disconnect the cable at both ends (important, you cannot measure the resistance if there is an active node somewhere in the cable).
Open one of the connectors.
With the green and red wire still connected in the connector, measure the resistance between the green and red wire. There must be 250 ohms (two 500 ohm resistors in parallel).

Last edited:
Hi!

Yes, I know that termination resistors can be the problem, that’s why I changed the plugs with brand new to be sure, but I have the same problem. Any way I can measure the cable and the resistors when I get home.

I didn’t understand what MRSENOLSEZER mean about the cable and which pins have been broken, do I need to open the TP to check the connections inside?

I’ll post the project later on, I’m a bit busy now, but I set the TP in my project directly in Step7, I choose ‘insert new object -> SIMATIC OP’. After that I double click on the new object and ProTool starts automatically with project wizard, there I configure the TP, its address etc., download the configuration in the TP, downloading HW setup in the PLC and then OFF/ON with the power supply. As described before – no communication until I take out and in the Profibus plug.

As you describe it, it looks like the TP170A is integrated in the right way. Did you compile everything in the HW config ?
Not sure that it makes a difference, but try also to open up NetPro and compile everything there.

Whatever you do, dont open the TP170A panel. You will loose the guarantee.

If you remove and reinsert the profibus cable then the TP170A comes online OK.
What if you cycle power to the TP170A. Does it come online ?
If you cycle power to both TP170A and S7-313C at the same time, doesnt the TP170A come online after a while ?