RSView SE device address question

briana banks

Hi All

On an rsview se application
Can i change a tag data source device address on run time?
I had to create a huge amount of HMI tags.
each tag is linked to an item in a 30x30 table in the plc.
and i have 300 tables.
All the tables have the same data type.just a diffrent device address .
The user pops a window with 30x30 numeric inputs.the window
loads the specific parmeter file and display the values.

Can i change a tag data source device address on run time,or
can you suggest me another way to reduce the amount of tags

Thanx

If your application has several different data sources, all with the same tags, or partial tags, you can use parameter files for opening displays. I do this all the time.

Ex: Line with 3 Extruders, 1 PLC, there is 1 Extruder display..

A tag for speed is '{[plc1]Extruder1.Speed}', normally. Change that to {#1.Speed}

Create a parameter file named Ext1_Par_File, and in it, put a line:
#1=[plc1]Extruder1

Create another parameter file named Ext2_Par_File, and in it, put a line:
#1=[plc1]Extruder2

Call the display with the /P option, and no spaces between /P and the name of the parameter file

ShowDisplay Extruder /PExt1_Par_File ; Shows the display for extruder 1

ShowDisplay Extruder /PExt2_Par_File ; Shows the display for extruder 2

Will that help? Parameter substitution is very very powerful in RSView SE, but can depend on the layout of the application.

rdrast said:
A tag for speed is '{[plc1]Extruder1.Speed}', normally. Change that to {#1.Speed}

OK. you mean connect the display object(control) directly
to the opc without creating HMI tags.

Well,i think i can modify my app to do that.

Thanks (y)

No, you can also use HMI Tag-Database tags if you wish, same example, except with tags in the tag database:
The tag may be '\Extruder1\Status\Speed'
You can still use '#1\Speed', and set '#1=\Extruder1\Status' in the parameter file

Direct referencing just saves the need to create HMI tags if you don't need them, but you can still use the other method.

In fact, in the above examples, you could even have one parameter file referencing the HMI Tag database, and one referencing the direct object if the final part is the same.

You can also use parameter files to completely replace tags in a display. I do that for "Auto / Manual" mode popups and the like. One pop-up window handles 50 to 100 "Auto / Manual" settings, just by calling it with a different parameter file.

Hi

Then how do you link them to the OPC?
I cant write #1 in the address bar of the data source in the tag
database editor.

No, in the tag editor, you still use the complete path in the device address. I use parameterized tag DB references when the I/O points in the PLC or Multiple PLC's aren't in a logical order.

In the Tag DB, I'd make a folder for Ext1, with all of extruder1's support tags underneath, each pointing to the proper device/address. Then I'll duplicate that tag folder, and rename it to Ext2, update my references, and repeat for Ext3.

Then throughout View, in all the displays, I can parameterize the folder name, without having to edit each graphic individually.