SLC/Compact Logix MSG problem

ukguy777

Hi

I was wondering if anyone on here could help with a control issue i have using an SLC and CompactLogix processor.

I am trying to Write a message to an SLC5/05 controller, from a CompactLogix (With Enet/IP module). Unfortunately i have no idea where to start when setting up the instruction.

I think the best way to do this is by using a write msg from the clx to the slc?

What should the "Message type" be set to (cip generic etc.)?

What tag names should i use for the source/destination element tags? Should i copy my source element to a tag that has been named in SLC format (i.e. N7:1)? Should the destination tag be typed as the SLC address (i.e. n12:0)?

I found that i could not browse the processor when setting the communications path, so i figure i have to set this manually. What is the format for this path?

Sorry if it seems like i've done no research for myself, i just seem to be struggling to get anywhere with this, and would appreciate having the answers.

All the best

Guy

OK:

Message Type = SLC Typed Write

Source Element = First word of an array eg Data[0]

Destination Element = SLC Address eg N7:0

Path Type = CIP

Path:

Specify a path. checkout the Help File under "Specify Communication Details" Typically this consists of pairs of numbers <Port>,<NextAddress>

In your case the Port Number = 2 (Local ENB Port)
Next Address = IP address (e.g., 10.10.10.10)

Thanks for that Philip.

Have read the help files and followed your advice, but no joy.

I'm getting extended error code 008_0311. I'm guessing this means that it cannot even see the target device (my SLC)

I've set the comms path as below,

1, 10.138.10.90

1 being the local port of the enet card in the local CLX
10.138.10.90 being the address of the target processor.

Is there something i'm missing here, as it does not seem to want to communicate at all. Perhaps a bit needs setting to enable something?

Thank you for your help, any ideas where i'm going wrong now?

Guy

I thought it was 1 due to it having a [1] before the enet card in the processor IO list (sorry that's not very technical, i'm doing this from memory).

However, i've tried it with both values 1 and 2, and have also tried it with ,0,0 on the end (Comms slot and processor slot) and every variation on this, without success.

CIP paths are pairs: "Port, Address".

For any Logix module, Port 1 is the backplane port and Port 2 is the network port.

The Address can be a node (DNet and CNet), a slot (Logix chassis), or an IP address (EtherNet/IP).

The CompactLogix doesn't have literal "slots", but it has a virtual backplane object. The Controller is Slot 0, the Ethernet daughtercard is Slot 1, and the Compact I/O bus is Slot 2.

So, the path would be: 1, 1, 2, 10.138.10.90

When you type in the initial "1,1", and RSLogix 5000 will convert that to "LocalENB".

You don't need a port and slot once you get to the SLC-5/05's IP address because the SLC is the endpoint of the message.

The SLC has to support EtherNet/IP messaging, so be sure that it's a recent firmware revision.

And other thing; the SLC-5/05 needs to be able to communicate using EtherNet/IP. That capability was introduced to the SLC-5/05 OS501 operating system FRN5 (the controllers are all upgradable to the current FRN10).

Ahh...I was thinking the Ethernet port would be Port 2 directly...I had missed the "Virtual Backplane" concept. So the route is:

CPU to VirtualBackplane = 1
Ethernet Daughter Card Slot Number= 1
Ethernet Front Port = 2
IP Address = 10.138.10.90

Hence the 1,1,2,10.138.10.90. Thanks for putting us right Ken.

Last edited:
Thank you for your help so far.

It would seem that i've (you've) cured the path/connection problem, however...

I am now getting a "Privilege error, access denied" error, error code f00b. I manually reset the .er bit, managed to improve the situation to a "Error processing connection related service" (Error 001f, ext err 0000_0204). Reset this error, re-enabled MSG instruction, back to error f00b.

Have had a quick browse of the internet, but not much out there (there was one page where Ken had responded to a similar question - is the target processor currently under edits etc.)

So does anyone have any thoughts as to what could be happening here?

BTW, frn5 on SLC, v13 firmware on CompactLogix.

Thanks in advance

Guy

Desperate bump. (desperate in that i'll have to ring tech support otherwise, don't fancy being told "well it shouldn't do that" repeatedly)

I have an SLC-5/05 and a CompactLogix here in my office. Go ahead and send me your programs (*.RSS and *.ACD) and I'll give them a try.

It's only quarter after midnight, after all. Gotta do something until dawn.

Wait, wait. FRN 5 ? SLC-5/05's are on FRN 10 these days.

FRN 5 did introduce EtherNet/IP messaging, but it's possible that improvements have been made in the intervening five revisions. I won't be able to test with FRN5 firmware in the SLC.

Definitely yes.

SLC-5/05 OS502 Series C FRN 10 is only three years old and can definitely exchange messages with CompactLogix and ControlLogix controllers over EtherNet/IP.

The primary thing to be aware of is that when the SLC is initiating the transaction using a MSG instruction, the instruction must be configured for "Multi-Hop" mode in order to force it to use EtherNet/IP instead of the older CSPv4 protocol. When the target is a CompactLogix controller the controller slot number is always zero.

Last edited: