Symate400 PLC help.

Luisagos

Hello everyone,

I am sort of new to PLC; my new job has a symate 400 plc. I have been playing with it for awhile. Got most of it figures out, but for the life of me, I can not get any information, where I/O cards like outputs are assign to. I see no reference from I/O to memory locations. How do you tell the symate 400 what I/O use what memory address? If anyone can help me, I would be very happy.

The Symax family uses only one set of memory locations. If a memory location is assigned (using rack addressing) to a physical I/O slot then it can be used for as a real world I/O point. At this point the module in the slot determines how the memory location can be used in the program.

for example: If the card in the slot is an output module then the memory location is 16 ouput bits, if the card is an input module then the memory location becomes "read only".

Jim Dungar said:
The Symax family uses only one set of memory locations. If a memory location is assigned (using rack addressing) to a physical I/O slot then it can be used for as a real world I/O point. At this point the module in the slot determines how the memory location can be used in the program.

for example: If the card in the slot is an output module then the memory location is 16 ouput bits, if the card is an input module then the memory location becomes "read only".

Thank you for the fast reply.

How does one figure out how the module is assigning the address? What I am trying to do is, use the unused I/O outputs that I have on that output card. I sort of understand the theory just don’t have the practical experience.

Thank you again.

Simatic

Dear Luisagos,

SIMATIC S7-400 has several diferent memory areas (complete separate):
Inputs: I or E (in german)
Outputs: Q or A
Memory: M

You assign the I/O address in the hardware configuration. If you open SIMATIC Manager and create a new blank project (without wizard). Select insert new Object -> SIMATIC 400 Station -> Open hardware and configure the hardware you have. If you select properties of a card, you can change its addressing.

Kelkoon

The modules do not decide which addresses to use. The memory locations (register using Symax terminology) assignments for modules is done using RACK ADDRESSING. This tells the processor where to find or put the "data" for a register. If a register is assigned to a slot in a rack the processor goes there for the module type and register data restrictions. If there is no module in the slot then the processor treats the register as an "internal".

Each Symax register is 16 bits. Each bit may be accessed directly using the format XXXX-YY where XXXX is the register (1 through 4000 for user registers and 8000 to 8196 for system registers) and YY is the desired bit (1 through 16). Most designers used 0001-01 as their first I/O point.

Jim Dungar said:
The modules do not decide which addresses to use. The memory locations (register using Symax terminology) assignments for modules is done using RACK ADDRESSING. This tells the processor where to find or put the "data" for a register. If a register is assigned to a slot in a rack the processor goes there for the module type and register data restrictions. If there is no module in the slot then the processor treats the register as an "internal".

Each Symax register is 16 bits. Each bit may be accessed directly using the format XXXX-YY where XXXX is the register (1 through 4000 for user registers and 8000 to 8196 for system registers) and YY is the desired bit (1 through 16). Most designers used 0001-01 as their first I/O point.

Starting to understand, well sort of. I am using the symate plus software, I am looking at CPU rack addressing screen. I see 9 slots,

01 ---- ----

02 0001 0212

03 0213 0213

04 0214 0214

05 0215 0230

06 0231 0231

07 0232 0247

08 0248 0263

09 0264 0279

Rack list is

li slot 02 02

channel 1 1

drop 1 2

last address 0068 0180

I know address 1017 thru 1020 are analog outputs, how do I relate those address to the above rack addressing. Because I am having a hard time doing so, don’t see the pattern.

Thank you again.

Last edited:
Your analog outputs (S1017 to S1020) are not part of your rack addressing scheme, based on your above posting.

Your adressing can be translated as:
Slot 1 - Processor - all un-assigned address are located "in" the processor
Slot 2 - Local interface module - remote I/O racks will contain addresses S1 to S212
Slot 3 - 16 pt I/O card - addresses 213-01 to 213-16
Slot 4 - 16 pt I/O card - addresses 214-01 to 214-16
Slot 5 - 16 ch I/O card - addresses S215 to S230
Slot 6 - 16 pt I/O card - addresses 231-01 to 231-16
Slot 7 - 16 ch I/O card - addresses S232 - S247
Slot 8 - 16 ch I/O card - addresses S248 - S263
Slot 9 - 16 ch I/O card - addresses S264 - S279

Remote I/O rack Channel 1 drop 1 I/O addresses S1-S68
Remote I/O rack Channel 1 drop 2 I/O addresses S69-S180

Your program maybe using internal registers S1017 to S1020 for its analog calculations but their results are being moved to to one of the 16 ch cards. Search your program for a statement like: TLET Sxxxx = S1017.

I did a search, this only thing that came from it.

Let M1001=M0001 size300 pntr S0276

I even check the whole ladder circuit (50 rungs only), I don’t see any information regarding 1017-1020, and they are not even mention. I know, I can view live data on them, I change the value using 4/20 meter. By the way there are inputs, not outputs. This why I am confused, I see how rack address works, but I don’t see how they are reference with the other addresses.

In Symax language a Matrix is a group of consecutive Storage registers. That command says to let a matrix of 300 registers (starting at 1001) equal the value of 300 different registers (starting at 1).

So the program transfers the first 300 I/O register values directly into registers S1001 to S1300. Based on your rack addressing your analog inputs are really in remote rack 1 on channel 1 in whichever slot contains registers S17 to S20.

Jim Dungar said:
In Symax language a Matrix is a group of consecutive Storage registers. That command says to let a matrix of 300 registers (starting at 1001) equal the value of 300 different registers (starting at 1).

So the program transfers the first 300 I/O register values directly into registers S1001 to S1300. Based on your rack addressing your analog inputs are really in remote rack 1 on channel 1 in whichever slot contains registers S17 to S20.

Thank you, I think I got it.

Yes your right, those inputs are located on the remote rack.

Now I need time to digest all this info.

Thank you again,

Luisagos