Data Logging & trending for temperature controller

ckchew666

Hi everyone,

We've came across a project for trending and historical trending from 2 Yokogawa UT temperature controller.

The Controllers have RS485 comm port.

The workstation has a RS232 port + a RS232 - RS485 convertor.

1) I was thinking to use SCADA (RSViewME) or RSTrend. But I'm not sure how's the communication work. I think we need to get an KEPServer or OPC Server software for the PC to comm with the UT Controllers.

2) Can I use RSLinx Single Node + a 3rd party OPC Server?

Please comment. Thanks a lot....

The UT100 series has a choice of 3 protocols:

PC Link
Ladder
Modbus RTU or Modbus ASCII

all which are implemented on the RS-485 port.

I used the Modbus RTU funcion once. It's pretty standard.

I suspect that RSView has a generic Modbus RTU driver, which would let you talk to the UT-1xx over a serial port

The PC Link appears to be a set of commands that would allow you to write your own simple driver, but Modbus in RSView should be straightforward.

Dan

Sheldn said:
RS View will require the Kepware driver to get the Modbus RTU protocol. This is probably the recommended protocol.

So this means that I must have a Kepware + RSViewME to pull data from the UT, right?

Is Kepware soft-key protected like RSViewME also?

I believe that this is correct. You need this driver. Rockwell private labels the driver to allow RS View SE to talk to other hardware using protocols such as Modbus etc... You will want to confirm with Rockwell if RS View ME can use this driver. We are using it with RS View SE to talk to some Modbus devices and some Siemens S7-400 PLCs.

http://www.kepware.com/

Thx for ur info, will check with rockwell, but using RSView SE is way out of the budget just to monitor 1 - 2 points of data.

You could have a look at a small Citect package that has all flavours of Modbus drivers standard in the package at no extra charge. I think the smallest package is 50 or 75 points but may be lower.

www.citect.com

Yokogawa has some type of data aquisition and logging equipment.

You may want to ask about it. I've never used it or anything, I just know it exists.

How does DataPort communicate with Yokogawa controllers?

The requirement for data transfer is from the Yokogawa into RS View.

It appears that DataPort transfers data from RSView to Windows browser.

What have I missed here? I don't understand how DataPort accesses the Yokogawa controller.

Dan

WebDock Dataport

I wasn't sure that RSView was a requirement.

DataPort can use an OPC server such as Kepware. DataPort can use RSLinx, Kepware or matrikon OPC servers to talk to various hardware. DataPort then stores the information in a Microsoft Access database or Microsoft SQL server database. You can then use DataPort to retrieve, graph and export the information.

The download on the website is a fully functional version.

Eddie