Troubleshooting Nightmare

Shilo

I have a problem where a piece of equipment was sent from one plant to another and modified. The tags for faults are all messed up in that a problem with a pnuematic cylinder will, for example, point to a robot fault. I'm using RSView and a PLC5/80. How can I go through the tags quickly and not sit at the machine going through each tag one by one?
Step by step please, this is new to me.

I assume you don't have any documentation from the previous plant since you didn't mention it. Can you get any info from the manufacturer?

Renaming tags/addresses from scratch is never fun. I've had to do it several times--it's something you have to do. The time you spend now will likely save you time in the future.

Is Mr. Greener Pastures the one who built/programmed the machine? If not, go to who did. Other than that, get ready for a little work.

Hope it's not a big program!

If you are using RSView you can export the Tags to CSV file and look at them with MS Excel.

Under Start Menu, select Programs\Rockwell Software\RSView 32 Tools\Database Import & Export Wizard
Then select "Export RSView database to CSV files".

You can then modify the tagnames and then use the Database Import & Export Wizard to import the new tags.

Kim

Great tip, Kim.

Shilo, if you could tell us how the tags got scrambled, perhaps someone could help find a way to systematically unscramble them. I know that on the PLC5, the addressing is somewhat variable because it depends on what type of Rack address is used (1/2, 1-slot, or 2-slot addressing), and if the program is moved from a machine that uses 1-slot addressing to a 1/2 slot addresss machine, then many (not all) of the addresses are suddenly different.

Last edited:
In my PLC5 days it was popular to build fault logic that was sequential rung by rung to accomodate BCD displays. If someone added a rung (fault) in the middle someplace it would throw everything below off (or was it above), if two or more rungs were inserted at different locations it could really get mixed up.