Connecting SLC505 and PV550 (Ethernet)

Vuli

Hi

This may be a simple operation ... but I just can not connect SLC505 (1747-L552) and PV550 (2711-T5A20L1).
I have absolutely no experience with Allen Bradley's Ethernet stuff.

I am using RS232 on SLC505 for programming. PV550 is connected to SLC505 with RJ45 (twisted pair).
It "seams" to work. ENET leds on both the SLC505 and
the PV550 are on (illuminated).

I have absolutely no clue how to configure SLC505 ...
Should I use BOOTP...or not?
If I don’t ... which IP, Mask, Gateway address I should use ...?
Do I need routing table defined ... ?
Should DHCP on PV550 be enabled or disabled?
What IP address should I assign?
I cant even download from PanelView to PV550, as I cant
seam to get the communication to work (RJ45 or RS232 printer ports?)

The most frequent error on PV550 I get is error # 16417 ...

Ok, it’s quite obvious I am "very" lost here.
Any help would be greatly appreciated (explanations, existing URLs etc)

Thank You

V

The Allen-Bradley "EtherNet/IP" messaging protocol used by an SLC-5/05 controller and the PanelView 550 terminals uses totally ordinary TCP/IP transport and addressing, so you need a very simple TCP/IP configuration.

Because you have no PC in the system to serve as a DHCP or BOOTP server, you should use static IP addressing.

Set the SLC-5/05 to (for example) 192.168.1.2, with subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and default gateway 192.168.1.1.

Set the PanelView 550 to (for example) 192.168.1.3, with subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and default gateway 192.168.1.1.

(takes deep breath)

Okay, next steps.

Because you are getting "link lights" on both the PV550 and the SLC-5/05, I expect that the Ethernet cable you have between them is a "crossover" type cable. If it is not, or you don't know how to construct one, you're going to need an Ethernet switch or hub in the center of this network and ordinary Ethernet patch cables between the SLC and the switch, between the PanelView and the switch, and between your PC and the switch.

This has the extra advantage of allowing you to connect to both the SLC and the PanelView for download and programming at high speeds. Your PC should be set for an IP address in the same "subnet" as the two devices, for example 192.168.1.10.

If your company has an IT department or other computer networking savvy people, you can ask them for help with selecting a switch and Ethernet patch cables. They should also be able to help you with configuring the IP address on your computer and learning simple network testing functions like the "ping" command.

As far as documentation, the best place to start is the User Manuals for both devices.

1747-UM011E SLC Modular Style Controllers User Manual

2711-UM014E PanelView Standard User Manual

You can configure Channel 1 (Ethernet) of the 5/05 offline and then download using the serial port (Channel 0) - which i find easier than using BootP - then go online using the IP addresses as Eddie suggests (or throw your own at it!), as long as you're in the same subnet it's a breeze.....(y)

Hope this helps.

Kidblue said:
....as long as you're in the same subnet it's a breeze..
Eddie Willers said:
Your PC should be set for an IP address in the same "subnet" as the two devices

I have checked pretty much everything EXCEPT my PCs IP . Needles to say...it was different from what I had defined for SLC and PanelView. I have just assumed it was 192.168.xxx.xxx and did not bother to check :( .

Thank you guys

V