Schematic for a ML1100 and stepper motor

tspisak

Does anyone have schematics (and PLC program) for connecting a stepper motor to a ML1100 (or any of the Micrologix line). I haven't found any A-B lit to help me out. I did find that outputs 2 & 3 are the two high speed outputs but I don't know how to hook up the -/+ step, -/+ disable, -/+ direction correctly.

Thx, T2

I am not sure if you are using a stepper motor driver or just directly conencting the stepper motor to 4 discrete outputs. If you are using a stepper motor driver which you should be doing, the inputs to these most probably be step/clock and direction(CW/CCW'). These two would be connected to your PLC's high speed outputs. for each pulse you send to the step pin, the stepper motor would rotate by 1 step corresponsing to the direction you supply to the Direction pin. The outputs of your stepper driver would be A,A',B,B' which should be conencted to the 4 phase windings of your bipolar stepper or unipolar with the center tapped line grounded...refer to the manual you have for the drive and the motor for specifics.

I was looking for info specifically about the ML1100 (programming examples & schematics). The manual is a little light on details (0 & 1 are relay outputs, outputs 2 & 3 are the high speed outputs, and 4 & 5 are digital outs) AND only the BBB version has the high speed outputs. The stepper motor company called out step +/- and direction +/- which is the same and A+/- & B+/-, obviously :)

You need to make sure what type of output the stepper is looking for 1st. A step and direction usually refers to one input providing pulses and the other giving the direction reference. On an A-B signal both pulse and which pulse is on the leading edge determines direction

But I believe gimmephone is right and you would need 4 outputs to do a stepper but I haven't done a stepper application in close to 10 years