"Controllogix to Prosoft to MicroLoad.net Communications"

Snide

I'm learning how to communicate with a controllogix to prosoft to microLoad.net controller...

I have been asking questions about UDT's which, I was advised to fisrt find out
Before developing any UDT's you need to have a firm grasp of what you are trying to do in order to lay them out, otherwise you will end up with something that was written that didn't quite work, which was patched, which still didn't quite work, which was patched again, etc. When a program starts going down this path the end result will be less than optimal for sure. Concentrate on what information is coming in to the PLC, how that information will be used, and if it will be sent on to other places. Once you have that all figured out you may determine a UDT isn't the best thing to do. Don't put blinders on thinking that you have to use a UDT. Organizing tags like this is just a tool, sometimes it fits the job, sometimes it doesn't.
quote from jtn vbmenu_register("postmenu_150097", true); Member

I will explain what I know about the system... I have 9 tanks with two of the meters (a Smith Meter MicroLoad.net communications and it will be RS-485) and I'm going to use the Prosoft technology, InRAX-MVI56gsc to communicate with the controllogix controller (1756-L61 Revision 13.25 chassis type, 1756-a10 10 slot). the Microload.net will be sending a start/stop pump signal and a flow rate to the ControlLogix. Maybe a totalized flow also, I'm not sure.

I guess my real (big) problem now is I don't really know where to start. I know that jtn asked me to find out the info. coming in, I guess i don't know what he/she means by this. I thought what eveyone was asking me for (example...i will be sending a start/stop signal to the microLoad.net and a flow rate to the microLoad.net.) I'm sorry to be such a pain. ;)

This is where I would start. I would not worry so much right now about what information I am going to be bringing in or what I am what I am going to be doing with it. I would start by learning how the remote equipment talks to the AB equipment. Not just what hardware you are using, but how do you set the addresses, what are the memory locations for the information and how do you address them from the control logix, how does the prosoft card communicate with the controllogix processor. At some point you will have to have the equipment in front of you and just hammer it out with tech support to make it happen. A lot of new people in this field hesitate to call tech support because they don't want to perceived as not knowing what they are doing (including me when I started). What I do now is call them and right off the bat tell them I have never used their equipment and am lost, and theat they need to explain things to me so that a complete newbie can understand - this will take the pressure off of you to feel like you need to impress them.

If you come to a stopping point where you are waiting on hardware to continue with the learning process on the communications, start writing the program for controlling whatever it is you are controlling, using a placeholder bit or word for the information that will come over the communications network. When you figure out the communications link in the future do a search and replace (or have a routine that maps the data into the bits/words you used).

As soon as you are sure of the hardware you need to get the communications going get enough hardware on order to set up a test station on your desk.

Thank you I will call support today. One problem i have at my job is that the equipment never comes here. it always goes to the customer. All the customer's are located at least 4 hours or more away. that's another reason i seem to have such a hard time, of course i'm new so that really doesn't help.

thank you for sending me in the right direction.

Amy

Now when you say equipment, you are talking about the mechanical aren't you?

You will have the Controllogix, Prosoft and MicroLoad.net to play with I hope?

It would not be hard to ship the equipment without them and mount them in the panel when you get on site. I think that would save you a ton of time when you get to the job and you will look much better in the customers eyes

I'm going to ask if i can get the equipment here on my desk. I have never had anything except the program before...which Ron Beaufort told me isn't good. now i've been here a few months i know it's almost impossible to do anything w/o the processor in front of you. Amy

You really do need to be able to test it before you get to the job. I don't know if your company is building the panel or someone else, but at minimum, see if you can get the Controllogix Processor, Prosoft Card and one of the MicroLoad.nets. Then talk to you local AB representative and see if they can loan you a chassis and power supply to do your testing