ProFace GP2301SC41 Image

hariharan

Hi,
I am using a GP2301SC-41 Pro-Face model as my HMI. I am trying to load pictures into my screens for user interface. It goes through an Image conversion process where the actual image is getting grainy. Can someone tell me if this happens all the time irrespective of the image or is there a way to improve the quality of the display. Also can you tell me what this model supports as far as the image quality is concerned. Any help in this is appreciated.

Harry

Not sure if your version is simular to my Quickdesigner software, so I have a couple questions. Do you mean your trying to import a filename.bmp onto a screen, or do you mean your trying to export the screens for a manual?

George

I am trying to import an image.jpg onto a screen so that i can design the screen with the pictures i want and then trnasfer them over to the touch panel. it has to be done through a image conversion process as the software converst the bmp and jpg files to its own format (i guess). and i am using GP-PRO for creating the screens. Let me know if you have a solution for this.

I took a picture and increased the size, which appeared to duplicate what your talking about. Try and use a graphics editor to size your picture in one of the "lossless" images to the final size you need. Then convert that to a file type that Pro-face can recognize. The quickdesigner that I use can only import filename.bmp, so I can't totally duplicate what your seeing. You said you can import filename.jpg, which degrades image quality as you change size.

George

256 colour

Hello,

I have done that before, you wont get the actual picture, it will to convert 256 colour. Correct me if I am wrong.

drbigbiz
;) :D

I am assuming that is what is going on..On a 8 color screen it is trying to show a 256 color image ans that is why it is grainy and blurry. But when i do that conversion it gives me the converted image immediately and it looks the same in my laptop too..i dont understand that part alone...u mite be right partially but i need to understand what actually causes that distortion

Thanks
Harry

Hi Hariharan,

The HMI you mention has a 64 color 320x240 display (check here: http://www.pro-face.com/product/gp/gp2000/gp2301s_spec.htm).

So when importing .jpg's or .bmp's the original color information will be converted (read: downsized) to 6 bit color information.

The conversion tool in GP-Pro works well, since I've tried to convert high quality images into 6 bit color images outside the GP-Pro software before importing them.

I'm afraid there's not much you can do to improve the image quality. All I experienced is try to avoid low contrast images. (Or take drastic measures of course, like switching to hires HMI's, ...)

Hi Sparkz,

So if i try to convert the image to a 6-bit image before importing it to GP-PRO will it work fine? I am not expecting a great quality in the image but atleast 75% of the original image. I have a software too using which i manipulate images. The 8-bit or 6-bit images dont look that bad in them, but it looks awful in the GP-PRO. What do you suggest i must do here? Also let me know how to attach pictures to this thread. ANyway your information was helpful. I will try to mess with it more. in the meantime let me know of a anything else that you can think of.

Thanks

Pictures: www.transbotics.com. Any picture of AGV there will do.

Hey Harry,

What I was trying to tell you: There's no difference in picture quality between importing 24-bit pictures directly (using the "Import Image" function under "Draw" in GP-Pro/PBIII) or converting them first (using other software like Windows "Paint"). So the conversion tool in GP-Pro works well.

Did you notice that the file sizes of 64 or 256 color images (check the "Destination" page under "Import Image") remain the same?

When I import images (into a GP2600) I leave the "Use Default Effects" tab on. I've been messing with the "Dithering" and/or the "Brightness" tabs, but the result is always worse than when I use the default effects.

I must admit that a GP2600 has a 256 color display, but even when the GP2600 is switched to 64 color (+ blinking) the image stays relatively ok.

BTW, there are 2 ways in adding pictures to a post:
- Use the "Attach Files" button in the "Additional Options" field (300kB max), or
- Use the "Display Pictures" button in the "Additional Options" field (75kB max).
In both cases you must:
1. Enter the filename (or use the "Browse" button to search your computer)
2. Don't forget to hit the "Upload" button to transfer the picture to the PLCS.net server, before closing the pop up window.

I see what u r saying..i have got couple of questions for you.
1. Does the Import Image option change the resolution of the picture at all to fit to the specs of the Proface panel?

2. When i said i am getting a grainy and blurry image i meant it appeared that way in my laptop. Do you think it will appear ok in the touch panel? I think i am closing in on this issue with a solution

Harry

Yo Harry,

1. No, it doesn't, but... an Image Screen (=I-tag) can not be larger than approx. 53kB (uncompressed); this is like 260x200 in 64 or 256 color (Check the imported file size in the "Destination" field under Import Image). Notice that a 260x200 .jpg file in 24-bits color can be as little as 10kB on your computer, when it's imported in GP-Pro in 64 or 256 color it will be about 52kB large! You can then compress it to save precious GP memory space.
When importing a large image (for instance a photo 2048x1536 taken by a digital camera), the original image is divided into several smaller (all <53kB) Image Screens (in this case 55 Image Screens, all 64 or 256 color). To display the entire photo you will have to place all of the I-tags onto a Base Screen, fitting them back together into 1 picture. Of course, the entire photo will not fit onto the GP's 320x240 display, so you will only see a portion of the picture, depending on the position of all the I-tags.

2. WYSIWYG! Sorry: What you see, is what you get! If the imported image looks grainy on your laptop, it'll look just as grainy on your GP. Images in 64 or 256 color only work well for high contrast pictures. As I mentioned before, try to avoid low contrast.

Hey Sparkz...

I figured it out..ur tip helped me a lot..also i have one more question bot with regard to this...after i create a project with screens and not with PLC programs...how can i simulate it wihtout transferring it to the actual touch panel...it says simulation data file not found..i dont understand what that actually means. Can u please let me know if i can do the simulation without the transfer.

harry

Sorry Harry,

You can't simulate a GP unit with the Simulation tool. It's for simulating a GP's behaviour to changes in the corresponding PLC's data range. During simulation you leave the transfer cable hooked up between the GP and your laptop, enter the simulation screen, turn bits on/off or change data words on your PC and see was happens ON the GP... So your laptop replaces the PLC, not the GP.

I must admit I have never tried the simulation tool, I'm just reading the manual about this topic. Maybe you're missing this manual. 1.6MB is too large to post here, but if you post your e-mail address I'll send it to you (but first I will try to send it to you using the "Private Message" button).

CF Card

Hi,

can you tell me if any CF card is compatible with this Proface touch panel or only the manufacturer's card is good. because one of the brouchures says i have to use only Digital Electronics CF card (who by the way is the manufacturer).
thanks.