any answers?

ericinlow

I am new to plc' s and vfd's and I have a few questions.I would like to build a coil winding machine in which i can vary the spindle speed(10-200 rpm)and in some way program this machine to stop at a given amount of turns and then advance to do the same thing over again.Sometimes counting a different amount at each new start.I prefer using a gear motor and some sort of brake,eg.(air,electric).What kind of equipment would I need to build this.Would changing the counter frequently be very difficult?

Thanks for any advice,
Eric Inlow

I believe that this would be fairly simple, although this could ge to be quite difficult, depending on many things. Proper Planning is critical for you to be sucessfull with this project.

What type of material are you winding? Is there a Tension that needs to be maitained while winding? How accurate in number of turns do you need to be? What do you mean by "advance to do the same thing over again", advance?

I say this because I have worked on many different types of equipment, where a running tension was needed to maintain paper roll building characteristics that the customer desired. I have also done systems that coiled up scrap wire, which inturn didn't require any tension and accuracy was not neccessary so an "on the fly" change was implemented, because everything was slow enough. and I have also done a steel coil winder, where tension was only miniumally important, but lenght was critical to less than an inch, on a 10000' coil.

If you are unsure about components, I would look to find the components that have the most support in your area. Call your local electrical suppliers and see what brands they carry. Then call the not so local suppliers and do the same thing. Then find out what companies in youur area support what brands of equipment. The just in case, and how long you have to wait for a spare part can be one of the largest factors when doing a project.

All of this goes the same for the VFDs. Although one of the determining factors for the VFD is, how will it talk to the PLC. Hard wiring the VFD is a common senario, although depending on the specific senario, you migh be better off, having one that can be networked to the PLC, especially if you have to change modes, like between Speed Regulation and Torque Regulation.