Somewhat OT-Solenoid Valves

rta53

Lifetime Supporting Member
On some of our control panels we use small banks of solenoid valves to control air-actuated butterfly valves. It's usually 4 or 5 valves, sometimes more. We have mostly used Mac valves in what they call their Circuit Bar configuration. This is a machined aluminum manifold. It works fine but sometimes takes 4 to 6 weeks to get from the manufacturer. I'm looking for an alternative manifold type valve that will serve my purpose and is more readily available. The Mac valve we use has a CV of about .10 and operates at about 50 PSI. Any advice?

Randy

It is probably the time to make the manifold if it is solid. Look for the modular style manifolds that bolt together with o-rings.

TWControls said:
It is probably the time to make the manifold if it is solid. Look for the modular style manifolds that bolt together with o-rings.

Yes you are probably right about that. I have tried the type that you stack together but it is a pain to have to change one in the field especially if you need to replace the one in the middle.

Don't know if you are thinking the same thing as me or not. The manifolds bolt together then the solenoids bolt on top just like a solid manifold.

I have been through this before with MAC and when I asked about the lead times, they informed me they build everything to order because of all the possible combination it would be impossible for them to have completed items on the shelf.

I assume for shorter lead-time, your distributor would need to stock the valve.

I don't think this is unique to MAC. It has more to do with manifolds. We have the same problems with our hydraulic manifolds.

If you take a good look at a manifold and are familiar with machining, I think you can see why there is such a long lead time.

Bob O said:
I am talking about a simple 24 VDC valve that would bolt to their mainifold.

You are correct Bob. Anything you buy from Mac has a 4 week delivery. Even individual solenoids with wire leads.

Ok, I was just talking about manifolds. Can't think of a time I actually used MAC.

Did you get what I was saying about only the manifolds bolting together. The solenoid can be replaced just like a regular manifolds are?

TWControls said:
Norgren and SMC are both very good in my opinion

Another question. Do you generally mount your solenoids on the outside or inside of the control panel? From an electrical standpoint I would prefer to mount them on the inside. But then you have to deal with getting the air lines to the solenoids inside. I have used bulkhead type fittings for this but I don't really care for them either. In my application I have to be concerned about water (we build water purification systems) so any electrical components on the outside have to be protected. So if mounting the solenoids on the inside of the panel what method do you use to get your tubing to the solenoids? We would typically use 1/8" tubing.

And, yes I do understand what you mean about being able to easily remove the solenoid from the manifold.:)

Last edited:
I have a been both an OEM and now I am a End User.

When I was an OEM I would have definately said inside a panel. I looks cleaner but I never understood why so many companies frowned upon it.

Now as an End User, it is a pain to figure out which airline goes where. If you do it, lay your bulkheads out in the same fashion as the ports on the solenoids. Many, I used to, will lay them out so they look clean on the machine. When you go to trace air lines, this becomes a major pain