Siemens S5/S7 advice

acntrlfrk

I have been programming for quite a while and have heavy exposure to all AB programming. I am also dangerous at GE, Modicon, and Klockner Moeller systems.
However, I have yet to tackle any Siemens units. Specifically S5 and S7's. Can someone tell me the level of programming differences on these systems? If one can fluently program using RSLogix5/500/and 5000, should this individual be able to pick up programming S5's and S7's easily?

I downloaded a couple of manuals from the Siemens Simatic site and it looks like the S5/S7 programming is more of a code/script base programming rather than the drag/drop style of the AB/Modicon style processors. Is this correct?

Thanks for any and all advice.

acntrlfrk

I don't know RSLogix, but I do know S5 and S7. I would avoid S5 if you can, I don't particularly like it, but I have to deal with it. I tend to write my S5 programs in STL, because that is the easiest way for me to do it, as in all keyboard strokes. Because it's a DOS program there is no 'drag and drop'. S7 on the other hand, does have drag and drop, if you're programming in LAD and FBD.

I don't know what manuals you have downloaded, but click here for Siemens training manuals, I have posted this link before on a number of occasions, perhaps you haven't come across it.

Paul

I made the jump form AB to Siemens about a year ago.....after programming strickly AB for over 10 years. You shouldn't have any trouble going to the S7. I don't know about the S5 since I haven't worked on it.

You must put in the time to learn the Siemens software. Gather all the information you can and just immerse yourself in it. It's the only way I know how to self-teach yourself.

We have Siemens and AB here (and others), S5,S7 and from micro 1000 to 5000 platforms, if you are proficient in AB then I don’t think you will have much of a issue in Siemens ladder, there may be a little learning curve getting into STL, if you have to program S5’s then look into after market programs, they are windows based and much easier to learn the Step5, I use S5 for windows its made by IBH., if you are going to program S7's then stick with the Siemens software, I have heard that there are some functions that are not available in the other software and that some will not convert properly.

By the way once you get good, can you help me?

Thanks!!!

Thanks for all the advice, especially the link to the training manuals. I have spent a few hours reading over them and feel a lot more comfortable. The S5 looks like it's a tough nut to crack, although I haven't checked out any of the aftermarket software yet as it has been suggested.

Thanks again. I will definately be a daily visitor to this site from here on out. Glad I found it.