Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Used them, HATED them

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Used them, liked them

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters

CaseyK

In the cornfields, on the prarie, outside Chi-Town
I had a couple of Sixnet plc's on a tire balancing machine for bias-plied Hummer tires in the 90's.

They weren't the most user friendly things, and I haven't run across anyone who has even seen them. I had a program to load the operating program, but couldn't modify it.

They were a board based plc, similar to an Entertron, but not as durable. In addition, they had plug in I/O modules from Opto 22's. AND very expensive. I wonder if they saw an Entertron, and figured they could get into the business. Nice Try,ha ha.

Ever seen one? Or used one?

thanks all.....kc

They've apparently improved over what you saw, but I'm not that terribly fond of them. They come in DIN mount packages now, and use their own I/O modules. The downloading package is separate from the control editor package (they use ISaGRAF 61131 logic) and it takes WAY too many steps to create and load a program, in my opinion. Also, the controller takes quite a while to load and start running logic. Also, the prices I have seen have typically been higher (by a good bit) that A-B. Just my opinon.

The tire plant I was at in the 90's had at least two of every creditable plc made. The two sixnet's were in a machine built in somes garage, and it looked it. Because they came with the tire balance indicating machine, was the ONLY reason they had these two. The plc's wer very intermittent, coupled to the fact that the OPTO22 modules were intermittent to boot. One plc worked the balance portion, the other ran the conveyors and reject elecvator, along with the conveyor gates. No documentation existed, and sixnet could not provide anything on the plc's at the time, even though they were only a couple of years old. For about $1,800 each, they did come up with two replacements. The new ones were swapped in, and didn't work any better. The program was apparently proprietory, and could not be downloaded. I had a copy of the program, but could not hack any of it.

I wanted to gut the controls, and put in a 9030 rack. Heck, I had about 12 racks and 3040 cards in my secret stash, plus a hefty supply in stores. But that would have been too easy, and not keeping with "company spirit" of repairing and maintaining capital equipment (no matter what the cost). Could have saved over $2,000 and 100 hours at least!!!

At least someone has seen the sixnet units, and they do (or did) make some other products.

Then there is the Nematron/Optimate Pointe controller (LINK) which only a couple of people aparently have heard of.

PLC's are becoming like soda and cereal. a new one comes out very often, and the shelves get full of variety.

PLC-2's and SLC100's were the first I saw in 1988, an had heard of modicons. Conco (w ans w/o Interlake) were the first automation places that I had experience in 1972, but the made their own equipment, stuffing boards and all. The most popular chip on their board was the in-famous 7404 hex inverter. A whole quarter in 72 dollars.Man, if the would have had real plc's or contrologix on those old stacking cranes and wharehouse racks, there could have been an automation revolution. timing is everything.

Like the KOYO / Series One, timing is everything, but the AD 305 lives on!

When I was looking around to see if I could find a PLC with a programming package for linux, I stumbled across Sixnet. Aparently they base their PLC on linux now. But the software to program it is still windows based. Not sure if that's how the 90's models were.

I ordered their demo CD, but nothing I saw really got my panties wet.

http://www.sixnetio.com/ <- link for any of those interested

monkeyhead said:
I stumbled across Sixnet. I ordered their demo CD, but nothing I saw really got my panties wet.

http://www.sixnetio.com/ <- link for any of those interested

I'll be looking at this for my own personal amusement. Last several times I was at their site, there was no mention of PLC's, but that has been awhile ago. I was under the impression that they had stopped making them.

I am content with GE Fanuc for big projects, Entertron on smaller ones. An occasional Alan Badly on projects for spoiled little rich kids. Maybe a Moeller or two for affirmative action.

And there is always Keyance for those unusual applications.

I am currently mad at OMRON, because of the way Ray-O-Vac's uses them. But that's another POLL and RANT!

regards.....kc

monkeyhead said:
When I was looking around to see if I could find a PLC with a programming package for linux, I stumbled across Sixnet. Aparently they base their PLC on linux now. But the software to program it is still windows based. Not sure if that's how the 90's models were.

I was doing the same when I came across their site. They're just another hardware company riding on the backs of the linux kernel coders for PR and a free os for their hardware without giving anything back. If I'm not mistaken, the programming software is 3rd party software and yes...windows only.

monkeyhead said:
I ordered their demo CD, but nothing I saw really got my panties wet.

Yea, I looked at the software on the web site and my excitement level was on the far negative side of zero. I e-mailed them and asked about linux programming software and got a response from someone who didn't seem to know much about what they were selling. Blah!