PowerFlex700 DeviceNet fault

DaveW

I have a couple PowerFlex700 hooked up to 1747-SDN card and everytime the PLC cycle power or when the program is downloaded, the drives gives a DeviceNet Port 5 fault code of 75 and I would have to go to the drive and reset the fault before I can continue using it. Anyway to clear this fault automatically when communication with DeviceNet is restored?

Idle and Fault behavior are programmable on the PF700.

The 20-COMM-D interface in the PowerFlex drives can be configured to react separately to Communications Idle and Communications Fault events.

What's happening in your case is that the 1747-SDN goes into "idle" mode when you download a new program to the controller, and if you cycle power to the PLC obviously communications stops totally, resulting in a communications fault from the drive's persepective.

The exact parameter number depends on your version of the drive, but look in RSNetworx for DeviceNet in the DeviceNet parameter group for these parameters:

Comm Flt Action
Idle Flt Action

The default value is the most conservative action; fault the drive when either event occurs. I usually set my drives to Stop when an Idle or Comms Fault occurs. That way I don't have to manually or programmatically reset the fault.

An alternative is to have the controller automatically reset the fault over the DeviceNet link. Bit 02 of the command word is the Reset Faults bit.