Desktop pc to AB industrial pc with RSLogix?

NLittler

Hi everyone,

I've got a strange problem. We have a machine that custom mixes chemicals and is controlled by a AB industrial PC talking to a AB SLC 50/4 through a serial adapter. The dept. manager has to go to the AB PC to change the formulas for the days run. He would like to be able to do this from his desktop PC where all of his reference books are.

I have the network connected to both PC's and I can see the AB PC on the network. How can I get through the AB PC into the PLC?

I assumed, but could be wrong, that it will have to be done with RSLogix but I've had no luck so far.

In the past we have used both pcanywhere and VPN. Just make sure it is password protected. What this does is your operating the RSLogix PC from his/her office as if he/she was right in front of it. Because you are NOT in front of it, PLEASE use caution. If you do a search on VPN here you will see pros and cons about doing it this way.

George

Thanks for the responce,

I had not thought about PC Anywhere. You know how it goes when you have a simple solution right in front of your eyes. ;)

Yes the computers are setup properly. No probles there.

Seems strange to me that you would use RSLogix to make setpoint changes on a daily basis. Are you not using some type of HMI?

Well, you could use Remote Desktop Connection. The only drawback with it is that if someone is logged on to the computer you are trying to make a connection to, you won’t be able to make the connection.

If you are using a computer based HMI you could make a version for the Dept. manager’s computer and have it talk to the data server on the main computer.

I have to admit to being a little confused as well.... IS there some type of hmi software running on the A-B pc? It seems like if you are using the a-b pc to make the changes, you should be able to duplicate whatever setup you are using on your boss's computer....(as Tark already suggested)

Yes there is a HMI running on the AB PC. It is a very large proprietary system and all we really want to do is edit the data sheets, not run the entire system from the office computer. The data sheets in use here are just text documents and I can edit them even from my office, if I set up sharing for the folder.

Editing them in a text editor is a problem though, because there a other settings called out for the system that could cause a lot of problems if someone inadvertantly changed something.

I think I would like to wright a small HMI for the office computer and use RSLinx to access the other computer. RSLinx though does not seem to want to talk to the other computer.

I'm sure that part of my problem is that before now I've never had a reason to use Ethernet with PLC's, I've always used DH+ or one of the other more "common" PLC networking protocols.

How can I get through the AB PC into the PLC?

This would require that you have RSLinx Gateway on the A-B Industrial PC to be able to "bridge" from RSLinx Lite running on the office PC to the serial port on the A-B PC that is communicating with the SLC.

Darren