Slc500 Communication

anks

Hi,

i am using serial to USB converter from radioshack to communicate
with my slc5/05, and i am not able to estaiblish comm., was wondering do i need to use only 1747-UIC to estaiblish communication.

thanks

yeah, i am using 9 pin port on slc05, and 1747-CP3 cable, but i dont have serial port on my laptop so using usb converter from radioshack to estaiblish communication, so i guess i am fine with my hardware settings, i need to play with software to estaiblish that.

thanks

I have found that all the USB to serial converters I have found will not autobaud properly. If you know the correct settings it will usually work. This comment is also true of the one from A-B. I remember seeing a tech note stating that the autobaud would fail.

Darren

so probably the best way to achieve comm. is using ethernet port on my controller & laptop and use serial port with panel view hmi????

Yep, you can use the passthrough feature and program the panelview from your laptop by passing throught the ethernet port and out to the serial port. It can be a pain if you have not set it up before. I think we have an internal tech note that we use when we have to do it. I'll try to find it, but the highlights are:

1) RSLinx must be running as a service
2) Your laptops IP address must be listed in the routing table
3) Depending on what version of RSLogix500 you have we have seen the routing table sometimes not appear until after you select the routing table check box, save the file, close the file and then reopen the file.

Darren

Anks,
I had the same trouble, I ended up making my own cable up, following the connection diagram thats on the AB site for the 9pin to RJ45 port.
It even auto bauds, I would look at the cable.
Lance

Keyspan HS19

Tonight I found myself in need of more than the single serial port on my Dell Latitude C640, and being 300 miles from my office I don't have access to my usual bag of tricks.

Fortunately I rolled in to Spokane from the Idaho mountains twenty minutes before the CompUSA store closed. And on the shelf I found, to my happiness, some Keyspan USA-19HS USB/RS232 converters. $39.99 USD full retail price.

I've posted previously about my strong recommendation on Keyspan's U19 converters, which have been superceded by the 19HS high-speed version. Until tonight I haven't personally laid hands on one of the highspeed units, though.

The usual and important caveat: you cannot run the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver through these modules. For that application, there is no substitute for the Allen-Bradley 1747-UIC.

This little module just plain works. I installed the software, plugged it in, and a quick look at the Serial Assistant utility showed me it enumerated as COM5.

In RSLinx, I was able to punch the DF1 Full Duplex Autoconfig button and correctly identify and go online with a MicroLogix 1500. Next the device correctly worked with the DF1 Half-Duplex Master driver.

I even had it enumerated as the Channel 0 port of a SoftLogix 5800 !

In short; if you need a USB/RS232 converter and want no unhappy surprises, get a Keyspan USA-HS19.