Separating Mechanism

Hello Manikandan,

If you could provide detailed information about your project, I bet you will get more help.

Thanks,
Bob

Hello Bob

This is strip pasting mechanism. The strips dimensions are

width - 10 mm
thickness - 1.5 mm

This strips are pasted on Paper/board. This process to be automated
for more details please look at,

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=21429&highlight=manikandan

for this process, I got some Idea for placing the strips. But I need to separate each strip from bunch one by one. Is it possible?

Thanks and Regards
Manikandan

How are strips organized, are they random, are they in a stack or?
What are the strips made of?
If they are in a stack, you may be able to use a vacuum pick system to pull one from the stack and place it where needed but this is just a guess since we could still use more information about your project.

Thanks,
Bob

Apparently (judging from the attachement in the other thread you started) this is a cut off application?? So it appears you want to cut the strips from a continus roll?

Please confirm.

Keep it on this thread. If you start another thread the people responding wont know about your posts, and it will be diffucult to follow.

If i understood the process well, then i think you can use an encoder.

at certain angle(s) -which corresponds the desired length-, you activate the scissors (or the punch)

That's amazingahmed, you're looking at the problem from an obtuse point-of-view, but it just won't cut.

I take it from the extremely brief task description that manikandan wants to segregate the already cut strips from each other.

Are the strips on a conveyor, in a catch tray, in a container, or elsewhere?

Thanks for your replies.

This project is for insulation section in transformer industry.

This is not a cutting process. Cutting is done in another place. we are getting this strips as bunch(not stacked) from other section.

so no need to bother about cutting operation.

in Insulation section, each strip should be placed on a board.

this strips are made up of pulp material.

I need to find
1. How to get(separate) single strip from a bunch?
2. How to apply a glue on a particular place?
3. How to place the strips on a board?

Thanks
Manikandan

So are the cut peices in bulk (jumbled up) and you want to seperate them, line them up on a board, and apply glue to them???

Do I get it now?

Seperation could be done by a bowl feeder or vibratory chute... But it largely depends on the configuration of the product. Seems to me it might be like a deck of cards, so just manually stack them in a feeder shoe that would then have a traction roller to pull them out and drop them on a converyer.

As elevmike mentioned you have to stack them in a holder, then use a traction roller or vacuum pickup/handler to pick one by one.

???

I would like to have alot more detail but it looks like a simple pick and place operation to me. Give us more details such as are they randomly spaced, stacked, dumped in a pile?? Are they being placed on a board that is on a moving conveyor????

manikandan said:
1. How to get(separate) single strip from a bunch?
2. How to apply a glue on a particular place?
3. How to place the strips on a board?

1. tell the supplier to stack them instead of shipping them loose. Its going to be more difficult for you to get them back to some organized condition ("shingling" will make it difficult) then it will be for the supplier to keep them stacked. I like opposing belt feeders better than vibratory whenever possible:
beltfeeder4_new2_op.jpg

courtesy of DRS

2. Plenty of glue applicators are available. Do a google search.

3. Depending on the weight of the strip, I like chavak's idea of a vacuum pick and place.

Sounds like you could use some help from a ME that has some experience with material handling systems.

Last edited: