Step5: Converting STL into LAD

mxkid98

Hello all,

I have a Step5 program written in STL, and wish to convert it into the LAD representation. I've been told that this is possible if certain rules and procedures are followed. My question is: "Where can I find these procedures? Has anyone had experience in doing this?"

mxkid98

This is a rung/segment that can be converted, one N/O with one timer and a Flag, if you don't have the NOP inserted into the rung it will not convert, there are several reasons that people use STL, one being CPU size if you convert your project you may not have enough memory to run your project. Hope this helps

;
AN F 0.3
L KT 004.1
SD T 4
NOP 0
NOP 0
NOP 0
A T 4
= F 0.3

edit: I don't know of a program that will do it for you

There is no program to do this. I get paid to do it. If your interested, I live in VA also. Depending on the complexity and number of bytes, will determine the amount of time and $$. Some have taken me weeks. Drop me an email.

I know from your previous posts that I have replied to, that you are just starting out with S5, so with that in mind, why don't you attempt to convert the logic yourself, if you then then get stuck, post here for some more help.

One word of warning, if there is any dealing with data (numbers and the like) in the porgram, then it will not convert to LAD, having said that, some compares do.

As geniusintraining stated, you need to add the NOP 0 in the correct places to convert using the 'shift' and 'F5' keys in Step 5.

Is this an exercise to help you understand the program? If it is, you could just post some of the logic here and ask for an explanation.

Paul

Paul,

The problem I'm currently tasked with is this: We have an old textile looping machine that has been converted to cut foam for carpet cushion applications. The machine was originally engineered in Germany, and has a Siemens Simatic S95u processor with a STEP5 user program written in STL. None of us here are familiar with STEP5. We've been having ongoing problems with a "FAULT" condition on the machine, and we need to be able to look at the program to aid us in troubleshooting and/or isolating the fault. Problem is...we need to see the program in a LADDER format to monitor the I/O while the machine is running, in hopes of seeing what is causing the fault. I've printed out the STL, and created another PROJECT to begin the conversion. That's where I'm at right now.

Tom

Partly you can do it semi-automaticly.
Example:

A I 0.0
= Q 2.0
A I 0.1
= Q 2.1
SEPARATE THEM BY BLD 255 COMMAND THEIR OWN NETWORKS.

A I 0.0
= Q 2.0
BLD 255 (NETWORK SEPARATION)
A I 0.1
= Q 2.1
BLD 255

AND "AFTER SAVE" THEY ARE USABLE FOR LADDER OR FUNCTION DIAGRAM.
MORE COMPLEX COMMANDS NEEDS NOP 0 COMMANS AS MENTIONED EARLIER TOPICS.

Thank you for the tips! I may (or may not) attempt to convert this myself....time being the issue. But, I will give it a shot.

Tom

mxkid98,

You may want to learn the STL, for simple commands, its easy, I would suggest looking into after market software (IBH) for S5, they have a S5 for windows that is good, part of my problem was the DOS ver. of Step5 (I like the S7's software)

For the harder commands there are some very good people here that will help. You can convert as you go, you don't have to convert the complete project all at once and you will still get the benefit of learning the STL.

You can also look here SIEMENS there are many STL to Ladder and Control block examples at the bottom of the page Appendix III, Paul showed to me awhile back and its help a lot (thanks Paul),if you come across a statement that you don't understand then search it on this site, I have found several that way.

Status Variable

mxkid98,

Problem is...we need to see the program in a LADDER format to monitor the I/O while the machine is running, in hopes of seeing what is causing the fault.

Have you tried using the "Status Variable" screen to monitor the I/O you are wanting to use? This would be one way to look at the I/O with out converting the program to ladder. Like the guys have already said converting to ladder is alot of work and really hard if you do not know S5. Give it a shot though and like PLucas said post here when you have trouble.

There is another way. We use a after market program here to work with our S5 and S7 plc's. It does both types and I have never found any STL sode it would not convert to ladder for viewing. It is just the click of a button to switch between STL and ladder. It is also windows based. The software is called PG-2000. You can download a demo version that will give you a chance to look at it. I personally used PG-2000, on my laptop, when I went to Siemens for there programming classes. If I remember right it is not very expensive to buy. It will help when looking at the site if you understand German, but the software ask you when you start what languge you want it in. Below is a link to the site for downloading. Go to software, then Step5 & Step7 Progammiersysteme, then scroll down to the bottom and click on the downloadseite, then scroll down until you see Step5 & Step7 PG-2000 then click on it.

http://www.process-informatik.de/

I hope this helps.

In Simatic Manager open the code FB and then click on VIEW > LAD the code will automaticly change if it can. I am told there are commands that can not translate. The code I work with is all in STL and was created by another programmer. Some of the code with convert some will not. Sorry I don't know the particulars.

mxkid98,

Your program will convert, I have tried parts, do you know how to change the Step 5 from STL to Ladder?, what segments are you having trouble with?

james whitlock said:
In Simatic Manager open the code FB

James

Unfortunately that is for S7, Toms question is about S5.....

Tom,

I have downloaded your code, I haven't looked at it yet, but if it is as Genuis says, then tell us exactly what blocks/segments you have problems with and we can take it from there.

Paul

Tom

I have just opened the INI file you zipped up, I have only had a quick look, but I did notice that there is plenty that will convert to LAD, is this your work or the original program?

The other thing I notice was that the first few blocks are PB1 to PB6, but in OB1 the calls are for PB10, PB20, PB30....PB60,oh yeah and FB100. Is this something you changed? If this is the program in the machine I would be very surprised if it ran as it would fault out.

Paul

PLucas said:
I have just opened the INI file you zipped up, I have only had a quick look,

..... snip...

The other thing I notice was that the first few blocks are PB1 to PB6, but in OB1 the calls are for PB10, PB20, PB30....PB60,oh yeah and FB100.

Tom

You can ignore the majority of what I wrote there, I have had another quick read through your logic this morning and made a note of the PB numbers.

PB1, 3, 4, 5, 10, 20, 30, 40 and PB50 should all convert to LAD with no problems, PB60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 and 68 will not convert to LAD, but all they do is load a constant (KH) and transfer that to certain datawords (DW) within DB30.

FB100 has some segments that will convert and some that won't.

I still didn't see any calls for PB1, PB3 and PB5.

Anyway, I am off for a well earned rest now until after Easter, so if there are any replies to this thread I might not get to see them for a while.

Paul