Micrologix 1500 to PLC5 msg command

jrs2563

Hello...I'm looking for an answer to my programming problem here from the experts! Here is my problem.
I have a MicroLogix 1500 that is accumulating gas scfh data that I would like to
message to a PLC-5 controller via ethernet. In preliminary testing, I have
tried to msg 1 word of test data with the msg command from the
1500 configured as below:

This Controller: Chan 1(Integral)
Communication Command: PLC5 Write
Data Table: N7:15
Size in Elements: 1

Target Device:
Message Timeout: 5
Data Table Address: N7:250
Local Node Address: 10.103.97.180 Octal: (blank)
Local/Remote: Local

Everytime I verify the 1500 program, the Local Node Address goes back to 0. I can't figure out how to keep my ip address in there so I can communicate with the PLC-5 Processor via ethernet. Just for kicks I tested my msg abilities between 2 PLC-5 controllers, and had no problems. This is my first attempt tho at communication between this micrologix 1500 and a PLC-5.
Thanks, Jim

To connect the MicroLogix 1500 to Ethernet, you use a 1761-Net-ENI module. This module converts DF1 full duplex protocol to Rockwell's EtherNet/IP messaging protocol.

The MicroLogix still thinks it is using DF1 Full Duplex protocol, so it can only put a DF1 Full Duplex address into the message configuration, not an IP address. That's why when you enter an IP address, RSLogix 500 rejects it and puts a default DF1 address in the field.

The 1761-NET-ENI has a table of DF1 addresses/IP addresses inside. You can configure these with a utility or by sending a special address to the Net-ENI module.

This method is described in Chapter 5 of the 1761-NET-ENI User Manual.

You will also want to be sure that your PLC-5 controller supports the EtherNet/IP messaging protocol. Older PLC-5E controllers only supported the proprietary "CSPv4" protocol but all can be upgraded to support both messaging protocols.