Module Has Blinking Green Light Indicating Its The Flow Meter

THEBOSS1011

I have a 4-20mA open circuit error on the analog module.
Problem is I still have a 4-20mA open circuit alarm on module 8 channel 4 which indicates it is the flow meter. Can someone help me out .The flow meter checks out good, it was in shop for repair after it was not correctly wired up.

Last edited:
We need a lot more info.

What module are you talking about; PLC analog input? flow computer? pulse to 4-20ma conditioner?

Where is this alarm at?

-sounds like your system is working good, letting you know that a meter is no longer there.

The analog input module has a blinking green light indicating the effluent flow meter is not working but it is working .the meter was not hooked up right and it burned out the amp on the meter. It was repaired but the analog input module still says I have a problem with the effluent flow meter.

Could the incorrect wiring have toasted the input channel on
the analog module? I would test this with a 4-20 calibrator to make sure the module channel still works.

Thanks this is what I am asking for input on what could be wrong. I am not a plc person . I am the tech on site. The other channels on module work so can it still be toast if other channels work?

Last week I had a plc guy at site. He did say that he tested the card and it worked. I can not verify that. He could have told me anything, since I am not a plc person. So how do I test it. I probably do not have the proper equipment, but am willing to buy and learn what to do..

THEBOSS1011 said:
Last week I had a plc guy at site. He did say that he tested the card and it worked. I can not verify that. He could have told me anything, since I am not a plc person. So how do I test it. I probably do not have the proper equipment, but am willing to buy and learn what to do..

How do you know the flowmeter works?
How did you wire it?
Is it self powered or loop powered?
Can you put a ampmeter in line with the flowmeter & card?

I can not start the system with a 4-20mA open circuit alarm. Could you tell me if the channel could be burnt out even though other channels work?

Just about any place that sells anything electronic will have a
4-20mA loop calibrator for sale. Just connect its leads (positive and negative) to the positive and negative, respectively, input terminals of the PLC channel and increase the mA output to the PLC.
You will have to have some way of monitoring the effect this has, such as going online with the PLC and checking to see if the
memory register associated with that particular input channel increases its numeric value in response to an increase in the calibrators output.

Its possible that one channel is damaged and the others still work if they are isolated. What type of PLC and input module are you using?

OK, one more thing before I sign off for the night.
If you can power down the PLC and remove the wiring from the
terminals of the input module, each channel, if configured for
the same type of input, i.e. voltage, current, should give you pretty close to identical readings when read with an ohmeter. If the one channel that the flowmeter is connected to gives a much different reading than the rest of them, then that is a good indication something is wrong with that input channel.