PLC5 and Compactlogix Ethernet Comms

shails0276

Hi, For one of our project, We want to establish a Communication between the PLC5/80E Series E, Rev A and Compactlogix 1769-L35E. Both the PLCs are sharing same ethernet network. Has anybody previously done this type of communication using Message Instruction either in RSlogix5 or Rslogix5000.The distance between the two PLCs is around 100 m hence I think ethernet is the best way to go.Can we program message instruction in Rslogix5 for this particular application, because in the message setup screen you have to select the communication command and there is no option for Compactlogix.

Urgent Reply shall be highly appreciated.

Thanks for your reply. I refered the document you sent me but in that application the PLC5 uses a Controllogix gateway. I do not have Controllogix PLC to use as a gateway. Is it possible to Communicate without using any gateway.

Hello,

it is possible to communicate without any gateway.
the link below gives an explanation on how to set a communication between Compactlogix and PLC5 using DF1 serial port
http://domino.automation.rockwell.com/applications/kb/RAKB.nsf/0/24fee0e1bfa5d88585256b570067d2d6/$FILE/kb1.doc
in your case regarding the distance you just have to change the communication path according to IP adresses of both PLC.

P.S/if you want to set a point to point IP network.don't forget to use a crossover cable