Daylight Savings Time, Do you update all devices?

How do you deal with Daylight Savings Time on plant equipment?

• Total voters

Sliver

To all you plant maintenace guys and gals.

As more and more plant equipment has fault logging and time stamping, how do you deal with Daylight Savings Time?

Last edited:
I leave the PLC clocks alone.
The Windoze HMI clocks - which is where the alarm and data logging occurs - change automatically.

It depends on the application. On occasion we use the clock to anticipate traffic demand, so there's code in the program to change the PLC clock to Spring Foward & Fall Back...

I've have it set up on our PM program to capture the current program on each PLC (and update the Time) on the date we go to or from DST. Works well for me--maybe not everyone.

I would have to vote none of the above. All of my PLCs are updated with the correct time every five seconds by the main server. In fact, every computer on the network is in synch, which helps a lot if I have to look at time-stamped messages.

I'm not sure how it is with other PLCs, but this is pretty easy to do on the S7 platform.

S7Guy said:
I would have to vote none of the above. All of my PLCs are updated with the correct time every five seconds by the main server. In fact, every computer on the network is in synch...

I have just received an email at work from the IT people apologizing for some confusion caused by the server changing its daylight savings time a week early....

[The change back to normal time in parts of Oz was delayed to fit in with the Commonwealth Games..]

We change so that the production logs are correct. The operators start crying when their production is credited to a different shift.