Pointer to data in scl

Ah, you've spotted it - the one weakness in SCL! It has no POINTER or ANY datatype or instructions for handling a pointer.

But, you can make your own.

I don't have the reference info at this PC I'm at just now, but you need to check the structure of a full area-crossing pointer. The standard STEP7 online help, or the Berger book should suffice for this.

Then create a UDT which mimics this structure, assembled from several bytes, words and dwords. When you come to create a variable based on this UDT you can load each component element with appropriate values and then pass it to any FC or FB requiring a POINTER or ANY parameter.

It sounds a lot worse than it is.

Regards

Ken

Simon

Oops, thank you. I was over-stating the case in my eagerness. What it doesn't have is any mechanism for handling the ANY. (It's a bit like and ARRAY in Siemens STL - yes, the ARRAY type exists but don't ever try using it like a proper array. No variable indexed addressing available.)

Ken